sponser logo on my sail?

nonamebrand

Hi

My company has very generously indicated that they may be willing to sponser me a new sail for my Laser if the company logo can appear on the sail.

What do the Laser class rules say about this? Is it legal?
I see in one of the videos on YouTube there is a boat with a HP logo on the sail.

Any thoughts on whether or not I can do this?

Thanks
Mark

One thing to consider is the tax implications. I investigated this several years ago (and in the UK) as I had a company willing to sponsor me for pretty well as much as I wanted - for boat running costs and gear, etc.. It was for a 38 footer OOD. However, the tax implications were that all the sponsorship money would be treated as income and taxed as such. Thus, for me it was not a worthwhile route as the company could just pay me the money anyway and I'd be taxed on it in the same way so the sponsorship was not effective and we never bothered to do it.

I know in France a lot of the telecom companies (particularly mobile networks) have their logos on sailing school boats, some of which are then used in regattas. However, I guess a lot could depend on how fussy those running the regatta are (in short, I don't know the answer).

Ian

Interesting, so you are saying that the sponsership money was counted as personal income?! I'd better check that with our tax law, the last thing I was is to suddenly find I owe tax on all this!!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Interesting, so you are saying that the sponsership money was counted as personal income?! I'd better check that with our tax law, the last thing I was is to suddenly find I owe tax on all this!!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Just that that in my case I checked with an accountant and he said about (in the UK) if the sponsorship money was predominantly used by one person then (at that time, several years ago) then it was treated as income to that person. This, if somebody sponsored a boat at a sailing school as it was used by loads of different people then no tax problems. However, if the sponsorship was used to buy equipment used by only one person then the UK would treat that as income for that person and thus tax it.

The reason I actually checked was that I was potentially talking about quite a lot of money (berthing costs, new suit of (6) sails every year, etc. for a 12m offshore racer). It may easily be that it was the amount that also affected the tax situation and a single Laser sail is below various thresholds.

If you are concerned then check but don't not do anything as you circumstances (country, etc.) may be different and it may thus not be a problem.

Ian

Let me preface this with the following disclaimer: I am not a tax expert! These are just my thoughts:

In the United States you are allowed to receive gifts up to a certain amount without paying taxes. A Laser sail would definitely be under this cap. I also know if you make less than $600/year from one employer you don't have any federal tax liability.

You would probably be fine as far as taxes go, as far as advertisements on the sail, I think this is allowed but it can't interfere with the Sail Number. Hopefully, a class rules expert like Fred or Tracy can step in an elaborate on this.

I think we also are allowed a gift, and TBH I think it can be written off one way or another.

That I can check, its the class rules bit that is more difficult for me! :)
It would be a small round emblem either above the sail number or somewhere towards the clew maybe, it wouldn't obscure the sail number in any way, I couldn't do that otherwise the bridge wouldn't be able to identify me as I come screaming over the line! :)

Hi

My company has very generously indicated that they may be willing to sponser me a new sail for my Laser if the company logo can appear on the sail.

What do the Laser class rules say about this? Is it legal?
I see in one of the videos on YouTube there is a boat with a HP logo on the sail.

Any thoughts on whether or not I can do this?

Thanks
Mark

Congratulations! And yes, you can do this. If you look at pictures of 'big' events, you will see that many sails sport logos. Advertising Code Category C applies according to the ILCA By-Laws (Part II-10).

Back