Spinnaker

ehart

Hi,

I just bought a 2003 Mod3 today, and haven't sailed it yet. Looks like a good boat for us. One thing, though, that it lacks is a spinnaker. It doesn't seem that Catalina offers this as an option. Has anyone rigged these boats for use with a spinnaker? Is there a ready-made kit available?

Cordially,

Eric

No Kite kit for the C14.2 exist. You could add one if you really need it but for one design racing the boat configures with just a main and jib with whisker pole. You could probably use a kite of a 420 or FJ. Lots to rig, Foreguy, topper, spin halyard, tweekers(maybe), aft turning blocks, mid ratchets, in cockpit bag, sheets. I think thats it sans the chute itself. Lots of $$$$. Consider buying a Thistle or Lightning if you want a kite. They're rigged for one out of the box and haul @$!

Just get a whisker pole for the C14.2, its cheaper and the boat will perform about the same(imo) than if you added the chute.

Bob

Thanks for the info! Yeah, it seems a little too daunting, we'll just live without it. My main reason for wanting one isn't for performance (though why not!) but for education. I've helped fly spinnakers a number of times, but never feel like I really know what I'm doing with them.

BTW, does the boat plane?

Ask someone in your area on a top boat with a chute to work with you on your trimming. At least ask alot of questions regarding sail shape, pole position and height, luff shape, etc... If you can crew on a larger boat where you can observe proper trim and sail handling, that would be a big plus too. If you try to learn on your own with out outside input , you mightl end up not understanding it as much. If you could find a good teacher or two that would be your best bet. Most sailors are willing to help another sailor learn more about the sport. Also, look into North Sails "Trim for Speed" video .

Yes, I've planed the boat on a broad reach in 15 plus knots but never downwind.

Back