Spider Crack

archcat

Are there any thoughts on the best way to fix spider crack in the hull? Got a Nasty one on a 79 laser.

Cheers
Mark

I need more information to give a decent answer.

What does the crack look like?
Examples:
Is it one long crack?
Is it a mess of cracks randomly in one area? How boig?
Can you stick a knife in it?
Is the hull obviously more flexible along the crack? (As in this is really a fractured hull)
Is it near a place such as the bailer or centerboard trunk?
Is it around the mast step, or about a foot to eaither side of the bailer?
Is the crack near a "trailer bunk position?"

If none of the questions help to give a great description, how about measuring? ( the crack is about a foot long and runs front to back. It starts at a point one foot to starboard of the aft end of the centerboard trunk and runs straight back....If this were the answer I would say somebody sat on your boat while it is on the trailer and we would figure out a repair, and a way to keep folks off your trailer stored boat.)

I want to know enough about the crack to guess what may have caused the crack.

Fixing is part of the problem.
Making sure the crack stays gone is another thing.

Is it in the hull or just the gelcoat? My hull has quite a few gelcoat cracks from hull flex (being a '76), and I just leave them alone.

gouvernail said:
I need more information to give a decent answer.

What does the crack look like?
Examples:
Is it one long crack?
Is it a mess of cracks randomly in one area? How boig?
Can you stick a knife in it?
Is the hull obviously more flexible along the crack? (As in this is really a fractured hull)
Is it near a place such as the bailer or centerboard trunk?
Is it around the mast step, or about a foot to eaither side of the bailer?
Is the crack near a "trailer bunk position?"

Wow ok here it goes. The crack is about 2 inches in diameter, and one part spreads out about a extra few inches to one side. I can't stick anything threw it. It is near the trailer bunk position. I have a feeling it is only a gel coat crack. My though was to grind down the gel coat and re-gel coat it. But not sure. If I get home before dark tomorrow I will take a picture of of and post it.

Thanks

Cheers
Mark

Sounds like something you can ignore or try to fix because you love challenges...

The trick to fixing cracks is pretty simple. You must get to the bottom of the crack or cover the crack with fiberglass. If you pout gelcoat over a crack, the crack will eventually break back through.

Most oif the time I ignore gelcoat cracks or sometimes go so far as to clean the mildew out so I won't notice them.

How about a series of spider cracks on the aft side of the mast step and down into the lip? Sort of looks like something pushed the mast back into it: No knife can be stuck into the cracks, but I can get a thumbnail into the crack on the lip; on the deck: apc 2.5" x 1.5",on the lip: .5" x 1". There is no flex in the immediate area.
TIA,
Catya

Back