Spic and Span

SoDoWarts

I've been waiting a long time but I finally bought a used ('73) sunfish and I'm pysched for Summer to arrive.

But this boat needs a little care. What's the best way/product to clean it up and bring back its luster (well sort of considering its a '73). It looks like the rudder and centerboard could use a new coat of something.

Any help, suggestions, trick and or tips will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Renewed Newbie

The wooden rudder and daggerboard can be finished with marine varnish. If the existing finish is still intact, you can just rough it up with 150 grit sandpaper and apply a couple of coats of good varnish, sanding lightly in between. If the existing finish is peeling off or worn away, you'll have to remove it and start over with bare wood. In that case you can either: (a) use a heat guy, gently, to remove the old finish and then finish off the job with sandpaper; or (b) go right to the sandpaper, which might be the easiest thing if the finish is thin and you have a power sander (orbital one works great).

IMO it's not necessary to every trace of old varnish (which requires deeper sanding) because it's being varnished for protection, not appearance.

If you want to go all out, there are acrylic urethane 2-part varnish-like finishes that are incredibly beautiful and durable--but very expensive.

I've been waiting a long time but I finally bought a used ('73) sunfish and I'm pysched for Summer to arrive.

But this boat needs a little care. What's the best way/product to clean it up and bring back its luster (well sort of considering its a '73). It looks like the rudder and centerboard could use a new coat of something.

Any help, suggestions, trick and or tips will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Renewed Newbie

For the hull, I recommend a good cleaning with Soft Scrub (with bleach) or similar product. After rinsing, you can use a polish with Teflon for protection against scum etc.

For the hull, I recommend a good cleaning with Soft Scrub (with bleach) or similar product. After rinsing, you can use a polish with Teflon for protection against scum etc.

Soft Scrub has abrasives in it (it isn't that "soft") and will eventually remove dull the finish. I use it as a last resort. If you want it to shine afterwards you'll probably have to buff it out, which might be more work than you want to do.

This thread is about a 1973 hull; not much shine left, I imagine....

But it's not a bad idea to start with dishwashing liquid and to see what happens.

PS: The important thing is to go sailing.

If you have a car buffer, there's a good 3M rubbing compound with wax for applying to fiberglass that will bring the luster back to the deck and hull's gel coat. All you need is time, power and some energy. West Marine (either store or on line) will have it, even Wal Mart might. Give a call to your nearest sailboat yard for some tips, and if you want to reward them for the advice, purchase your few supplies from them. Also, if you look in Yahoo!Groups in the sunfish_sailor group, you will find lots and lots of information on how to clean, repair and bring new life to an older Sunfish hull. Good luck!

Back