Speed

TheStorm

I don't belong to a racing league or anything fancy, but I love that point where I'm tippin so far I almost lose control. Since buying the the boat 4 years ago it seems those moments come fewer and fewer :( . I have a sunny from the '70s (it's in great condition) and I'm wondering what I can do to make it faster. It doesn't have to be a legal modification... just something to make the ride more exciting. Do you have any suggestions??

throw a laser rig on it. I was thinking about making a "super" sunfish rig, and really soop up the sunfish, but have decided to go with a foiling Moth instead (see the "Moth Boat" thread). I was looking into making an 80 or so sq. foot rig, with a really high aspect, and heavy roach. I am instead going to sail my sunfish as is, until I get my moth in the water.

check out the for sale section. see if the guy with the super sunfish will sell you just the rig, or trade you for your rig.

Since the current version of the Sunfish is actually faster than the older super rig, for what it would cost you'd be better off adding a plastic dagger board and then the racing version of the sail. They are the main "speed" modifications.

mike,
The marconi super rig is fastr than the lateen racing rig. The super's portsmouth rating is slower, because it was rated before the sunfish got the many improvements, like he racing board and sail.However, I do agree that it probably is more worth it to get a racing board and sail than the super rig.

Back