Spar bags --- Home made?

Petrel

I've read the discussions about how to travel with spars. My husband ties our to the roof rack, but I will be going solo sometimes and I don't want to have to get the step and hoist them up.

I looked at those photos of the Plumbing tubes, but don't see them fitting under or alongside any trailer I've got. I've seen some with louvre vents on each endcap. Apparently 8" diameter is the preferred, but they look clunky. In the UK there are various vender selling essentially this PVC like stuff but with a proprietary name if not design.
I think I'd like something I can secure in my car or wagon when I'm not around.

The spars are usually along the axis of the SF after I come in from sailing and I'd like to find a way to leave them there. I separate the sail from the tubes (I don't wrap the sail arond the tubes), then I use Canopy Ties (those bungie things with the plastic knobs) to secure the gathered sail to the booms.

I'm thinking I could either use a couple of square seat/life cushions or some bonded mega pool noodles or canoe foam blocks to cushion the spars from the deck and the splash guard/coaming. I guess that would work, but perhaps there is a reason why some of you go for the spar bags. Is this to protect the sails and spars from rain, highway debris and soil or to protect them from flying tar balls?

The prices and designs for the spar bags vary --- $48 to perhaps $60. Some open with a zipper, some are just tubes. Most have handles. None of the specs seem to indiceate if the case is padded or even lined (wouldn't that be nice to have?). Some are made of nylon (nylon if not protected is prone to UV damage, isn't it); some are made of other material.

I could probably fashion some sleeves/spar bags myself (I've got as many sewing machines as boats -- you don't want to know). Canvas? Feed bags? I will store the sails inside so I don't think UV damage will be an issue.

Anyone ever make their own? Economically? I could save on yardage requirements by patching 54" lengths together, but would have to make French or felled seams to have them lie flat and not catch the spars.

Anyone know what adhesive to use for gluing pool noodles together? (I'd glue a section of three together, pyramid like with the top tube in the center, solo. All same length. Then I could scoop out a bit of a groove in the topmost to craddle the spars a tad. I think someone must already sell this sort of thing?

Thanks

• . . . Perhaps there is a reason why some of you go for the spar bags. Is this to protect the sails and spars from rain, highway debris and soil or to protect them from flying tar balls?
  • anyone ever make their own? Economically? I could save on yardage requirements by patching 54" lengths together, but would have to make french or felled seams to have them lie flat and not catch the spars.
  • anyone know what adhesive to use for gluing pool noodles together?

[ A ] Highway grit is my reason. I take the sail out once I'm home.

[ B ] I buy ripstop nylon (uncoated so it breathes). I shop the bargain bin at the fabric store. If I'm lucky I can find a 6 yard bolt "remnant" so no patching together. I figure up the width for a proper diameter and follow instructions for making a camping stuff sack (ditty bag) ... a really deep stuff sack. Patterns abound on the Net.

stuffsack_step14.jpg

Stuff Sack Pattern

[ C ] Not absolutely sure, but one of these has a good chance. Check compatibility ... pool pasta is polyethylene foam:

Contact cement, Gorilla (polyurethane) Glue, 3M-77 (nasty stuff)

6376644.jpg
Gorilla-Glue-2-oz_50F50F8D.jpg
60449.jpg

Thanks. I'll look around and see if I can find some sale. Wish all those ugly, stale popcorn smelling warehouse discount places hadn't moved out of the area. I used to find neat stuff for so little. The huge rhodies in the yard started out as $5 Capital Warehouse bargains.

Thanks too for the stuff sack pattern link. Those pillow case corners aren't that satisfactory. Also, I've been using Walmart nylon (huge) laundry bags for larger sails. Guess it's rip stop time now.

Spar bags are made of two types of material. UV resistant or non-UV. If you plan to leave you sail in the sun you need UV protection. Never leave the sail in the sun unprotected except when using it.

A bit of a follow up:

Yesterday I was solo to the pond, so I put the sail and spars on the top of the SF, using a few life cushions for padding. I use canopy sail ties to bunch the sail then secure it next to the spars (thanks to whomever it was that reminded newcomers to SF not to wrap the sail around the spars). Then I endeavored to secure the spars & sail and life cushions (w loop straps) to the boat. Okay, I am not going to win a knot contest. I used some of those web ratchet ties, more elastic shock cord. I got things secure enough (maybe I over-did it), but it took "too long" (more than 5 minutes).

I went through my fabric stash and found some soft imitation leather couch fabric lined with nylon that I'd gotten at a store closeout and was going to make a grill cover from. A snipped piece is going through UV testing on a birdbox in the back yard.

Meanwhile, I discovered that one of the trailers I was going to part with, actually works well for the SF and has ample room for something like a PVC pipe cylinder. So now I'm off to search the forum for how to make one of these. Of course, I'll have to then figure out how to secure THIS to the trailer bed. Do folks wire (coated wire through holes in PVC tube) these in place? I'd only have the sail and spars in their for transporting them, not for storage.

Oh, I should add, it was very hot and humid and I have no patience in that sort of weather with blazing sun. I'm usually resouceful if I can keep from melting. I may take some large pool noodle section for cushioning. Maybe fuzzy Velcro on a homemade spar bag and scratchy Velco on the pool noodles. Got to play around, but this summer in interior New England has been a pizza oven. <now craving pizza>

Back