Some Fiberglass/Gel coat Advice

iconoclast

I've searched and read all the posts re;Fiberglass repair and my head is spinning and I'm still unsure.

Here's my situation; It looks like something hit the rim of the cubby hole leaving several white flakes that readily come off,(gel coat?).

Under that is a black material that I take to be fiberglass.

Should I just remove all loose material and patch with gel coat OR use something like
Marine Tex?

ps; the opposite wall INSIDE the cubby lip has a repair that looks like someone THREW white material at it. Lumpy and bulgy.

Mike

You did not mention if you want a hidden repair or just a sound repair. From the viewpoint of someone who sucks at painting, (me) I'd say if you want a hidden gel coat repair find someone who does it on a regular basis. Sounds like a small area and the job should not break the bank. If you have a white deck and don't mind a little color shade miss match, there is Marine Tex. The down side is you need to apply Marine Tex as smoothly as possible because it is harder than the gel coat. That's probably what the white blob on the side of the cockpit is.

If you do want a hidden repair done yourself, look up info an applying gel coat using a Perval Sprayer. Works good for many people and I may attempt going that route this fall. Can I goof it up, yes I can!;)

Gel coat is really quite simple to do in small areas like that. West Marine makes one with the wax mixed in, so no need to cover it as it dries, etc. You can mix it with the hardener in a very small quantity (tint it if desired), dab it on a little higher than needed, then sand w/ 600 to 1000 grit the next day until level with the rest of the gel coat. Regarding the splattered stuff from the old repair, if it is indeed gel coat, you'll be able to sand that down easily as well. Just be careful not to sand the orignal gelcoat around the patch.

BTW, yes, the "black" you see is fiberglass.

Have fun!

Back