Solo sailing and capsizing; Buzzard's Bay

rbick

I have owned my Capri 14.2 since I got it new around 1987. I used to sail it solo on small lakes in Massachusetts, with no problem. In 1997 my wife and I bought a summer home in Mattapoisett, on Buzzard's Bay (MA). When I tried to sail the Capri solo on Buzzard's Bay, I found I could not sail comfortably because winds are often 10-15 knots or higher. I am a small guy, only weigh about 130 pounds. I don't think I have enough weight to keep the boat stable. I have no reefing points on my standard mainsail. Do others as small as me find that they can sail without capsizing or feeling overpowered in winds more than 10 knots?

My level of discomfort was enough that after about a year, I bought a smaller boat (Escape Captiva) that I sail all the time, regardless of wind conditions (unless perhaps 20 knots or so.)
Even though the Escape is fun, I would like to go back to sailing something closer to the 14.2, so that I could gain more experience adjusting the rig (sail trim, balance). I have considered buying a small keel boat, perhaps a Cape Cod Bullseye, to deal with the winds and chop on Buzzard/s Bay. Any thoughts or suggestions? thanks

solo sailing Capri 14.2

This is something I always wanted to try, solo sailing. Since my crew (wife) often works on weekends I have wanted to take the boat out myself. I have not tried as I am a little intimidated. When you leave the dock under power and get into open water I think it would be hard to keep her pointed into the wind to raise the mainsail as you no longer have control over the rudder. I have thought about raising the main at the dock then in open water using the outhaul to slide the foot of the sail along the boom which would put me close to the rudder. Is my thinking all wrong? I have a furling jib which adds another factor. Just seems you could get real busy trying to tacking or jib. I sail inland lakes where the wind shifts often.

solo sailing

I would raise the sail at the dock with the main sheet uncleated, letting the boom swing freely, sail luffing (boom vang set, outhaul and downhaul adjusted). Push off from dock, adjust sheet to sail away from dock, and then when you are away from the dock, you can unfurl the jib.

returning to dock

Easy if you are heading upwind approaching the dock--as you get close, plan your approach so you will get to the dock heading a little off the wind direction--close hauled or near reach. Let the jib luff, or furl it in. As you get very close, let the main sheet out so the sail luffs, boat drifts slowly to the dock. If you don't plan well, you can bring the sheet back in, have power so you can steer, even head back out away from the dock if you need to.

If you are on a run, you have to get near the dock, then head into the wind to stop the boat, furl jib, take down the mainsail. Then you can paddle the boat to the dock--you can't come in with the sails up with the wind behind you, because there is no way to stop.

Back