Soft Hull?

lknsailor

I am looking at a 1973 Laser and have a question about the rigidity of the hull fiberglass. The hull appears fairly sound, but I noticed a slight "deflection" where it sits on the trailer rails. When I push on the hull, the fiberglass gives about a 1/4 of an inch spread broadly. Is this normal, or should I pass it up? :confused: I cannot detect any delamination on the deck or hull.

thanks!

I am looking at a 1973 Laser and have a question about the rigidity of the hull fiberglass. The hull appears fairly sound, but I noticed a slight "deflection" where it sits on the trailer rails. When I push on the hull, the fiberglass gives about a 1/4 of an inch spread broadly. Is this normal, or should I pass it up? :confused: I cannot detect any delamination on the deck or hull.

thanks!

Perfectly normal for 36-year-old fiberglass boat. Wouldn't buy it if you intend to race the boat. Fine for sailing around the lake, but just don't pay too much for it.

Perfectly normal for 36-year-old fiberglass boat. Wouldn't buy it if you intend to race the boat. Fine for sailing around the lake, but just don't pay too much for it.

Thanks I am looking to get back into a Laser for pleasure sailing not racing... I think I can get it w/ trailer for $600. sound reasonable?? It needs some fittings/rigging to be replaced, sail is ok, and has the expected scratches and dings... some gelcoat work.

Thanks I am looking to get back into a Laser for pleasure sailing not racing... I think I can get it w/ trailer for $600. sound reasonable?? It needs some fittings/rigging to be replaced, sail is ok, and has the expected scratches and dings... some gelcoat work.

A boat in sailing condition WITH trailer for $600 is a great deal.

Thanks lknsailor and torrid for the hull discussion. I just joined the Laser world last week when I bought a '73 standard Laser, $300 off of craigslist. I have almost identical situation with my hull. It gives over a broad area and the deck has some gelcoat cracks, but it looks sound enough to float (not had a chance to put in it the water yet).

After removing the inspection port found damp sand inside the hull. I believe the boat was pulled up on the beach extensively in its previous life. I read on another forum about the styrofoam floatation in the older boats and found the same in mine. I anticipate that the foam blocks are holding water and need to be replaced with the newer plastic floatation jugs.

Mine also has missing blocks and a bad tear in the sail, so it's a bit of a project boat. Like lknsailor I also only intend to Laser for pleasure on local lakes. Mine did not include a trailer but it fits nicely in the bed of our pickup. Norther Tools sells an extension bracket that fits into a hitch and provides support for the bow as it sticks out beyond the tailgate.

All in all I am excited to join the ranks and can't wait to have her healing in a stiff breeze. :)

Thanks!

Mine is pretty darn soft... I wish I'd bought a newer/nicer one - but it does sail just fine. You'll probably be OK.. heck - with only $600 in it's hard to go too wrong.

You should do a mast step repair on it, though... particularly if you can't fill the mast step tube up with water and have it not leak.

If it doesn't strictly need it now, it will soon. The goop they put in there to hold it just doesn't last for 30 years.

Back