soft hull! sailable?

sailor1994

I went outside today to check on my laser for the 1st time since last summer, and I noticed something that I hadent noticed before. I guess the elements of the seasons may have caused it because it was only covered by a tarp, hull side up. The entire starboard and port side starting from the centerboard to the front of the boat are what id consider very soft. It starts about 5 inches down from the gunwhales and ends like 5 inches from the center. When I push with my thumb in most areas it will puch in, with very little force, then about in the middle of the soft spot area on either side there's a spot where if I touch with even less force it goes right in about 1/2 inch. The boat is from 74 so its very old but id really like to know is is this condition non sailbalbe. Iv heard of decks being soft but I haven't seen much about the hull. I sail 420's in the summer but id like to sail my laser on the windy days, so this boat will be sailing in those conditions if that help evaluate the situation. Id really like to know if its fine or not before I start to do the mast step re enforcment so I can save myself the hassel.

Thank you very much everyone!

just out of interest... got kids? Nothing makes a hull go like that quicker than having the neighbours (or your own) kids climb all over it!

Back