So, is anybody actually racing this weekend?

Rob B

Thus far not too many racing results or stories. Is this The Laser "Day Sailors" Forum???

Thus far not too many racing results or stories. Is this The Laser "Day Sailors" Forum???

Last week I raced my Laser and did so abominably that I didn't want to talk about it. Sulking involved. I'm crewing on a Thistle this weekend. :eek: I just want to learn a few different things and sail with a really good sailor. The Thistlers at my club are going to meet early to tune the masts, sail in the club races, and then share appetizers. Gotta make something, but they are providing beer.

Its not too late to come join us for the Elvstrom Regatta at the St Francis Yacht Club this weekend. This is also the District 24 Grand Prix event.

Racing will be in the same water as the NA's and Slalom so we're getting in some practice!

Info for the event is on the St Francis Web Site.

If you can't make it but want to spy on us anyway, check out the Exploratorium Roof Cam!

Its not too late to come join us for the Elvstrom Regatta at the St Francis Yacht Club this weekend. This is also the District 24 Grand Prix event.

Racing will be in the same water as the NA's and Slalom so we're getting in some practice!

Info for the event is on the St Francis Web Site.

If you can't make it but want to spy on us anyway, check out the Exploratorium Roof Cam!

thats awesome, i can see the fleet putting their masts up. looks like alot of radials. I bought my laser from gary flint, who i believe is a member at St Francis. its my first boat ever and Im having a blast! hopefully i can come race with you guys sometime, I just turned 18, just started sailing about a month ago and have been going ~twice a week up in chico

I just finished the mug race its a 40 mile race on the st johns river my start time was 7:35am and i finished at 6:30pm it was a long and fun day.

I raced on Thursday in the hanpicap fleet.
Wind was about 10knts and there were 9 boats out. 2 Lasers, me in my radial and an OK. The OK was closest to me on handicap.
I got a pretty good start on the first race and set my sights on beating the OK over the water. The OK is sailed by a guy who does the national and international circuit and usually does really well.
As we got to 100m from the windward mark he was a boat length in front.
By the time I got to the mark I had an inside overlap. I have never overtaken this guy so my heart was in my mouth. He barely gave me space to sueeze round the mark which I ended up brushing with my mainsheet.
"Oh dear, you hit the mark!" the OK said with glee . I span a 360 and set off to try and catch him. I eased off the cunny, outhaul and kicker and started to gain on him. I drew level with him a few boat lengths from the mark, and this time he gave me good room, but my gybe was slow and he took me again .I was right behind him when we got to the bottom mark and as we rounded we both hardened up and set off on different tacks.
At the top mark we were back were we started with him just a boat length in front.
This was pretty much how the race continued and finished. I finished 20secs behind over the water which I see as quite an achievenment considering I only started racing in August 07.
The next race the wind dropped which favoured the OK and He was out of sight!

Did an 80 boat mixed fleet regatta. Only 8 Lasers. Lucky to finish equal first as a lack of practice saw me capsize twice.....very embarrassing!

Went to #2 of our Treasure Coast series in Ft Pierce Florida yesterday. Absolutely gorgeous weather-85 degree air, 70 degree water, 15-20 knot SE breeze. We stayed in the river in flat water because the waves in the inlet were a bit treacherous to go out onto the ocean. Kind of a small turnout: 6 fullrigs, 5 radials,and 2 4.7's sailing a slightly shorter course so we all started and finished together. I got a couple thirds but never could beat James and Peter. Still it felt good because some informal coaching from friends has led to a measurable increase in my boatspeed. And I actually had to hike hard all day! I can only hope my personal curse of light air regattas has finally lifted. :)

Good to hear! All the talk about nuts, bolts, boom reinforcements and such was driving me nuts!

I want to hear more about the 40 mile mug race. Was that on a Laser?

Good to hear! All the talk about nuts, bolts, boom reinforcements and such was driving me nuts!

I want to hear more about the 40 mile mug race. Was that on a Laser?
yes it was on my laser from palatka to jacksonville florida .I did it the past 2 years on a holder 12 with a friend and this year i did it with my 4.7 alone. winds were out of the southwest at about 10 in the morning then very light in the afternoon and the sea breeze kicked in around 5pm to like 12 so at the end i was passing boats and i saw 8.6kt on a gust then its a hike to the finish. I ended up as the first looser (2nd) of my class.
This year we had 166 boats and the rc 30 (supercat) won the mug cup again. The race is run by porthsmouth if there arent at least 5 of the same boats so i was racing in mono open.Hopefully next year yall can come on down so we can have a huge fleet.
heres the host http://rudderclub.com/mug.html

and results should be up later today

Back