Snapped vintage spar wooden

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
Attention Oracles of Boatlandia:

RRD (now Woodie) has been picked up by her new owner, who has lined up a craftsman in Michigan to complete her re-build.

I was horrified to discover when pulling down her wooden spars from the rack in my garage that the boom one had snapped approx mid-length, with about an 8 inch diagonal tear.

Question: does anyone know where I might procure another wooden spar? Or know a source for 14’ poles?

Bigger question: would nice flexible Thixo wood tone suffice to mend the snapped spar?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
IMG_1835.jpeg

Is there a picture of the break that can be shared?
I would be a little concerned that it might break again just outside the new epoxied joint, along the next weakest grain.
I repaired a mast that broke once by adding a layer of cloth around the outside, in effect making a large permanent ferule. The boat was sort of rough and tumble so the work did not seem too out of place.

Maybe clean up the break, scarf (not sure what ratio but maybe 12:1) and then wrap that area in glass tape? Not sure you would have the length you need after cleaning up the break though.

What type of wood is it? A type of mahogany or Sitka spruce or ash?

Maybe clean up the break, scarf (not sure what ratio but maybe 12:1) and then wrap that area in glass tape? Not sure you would have the length you need after cleaning up the break though.

What type of wood is it? A type of mahogany or Sitka spruce or ash?
Sitka spruce.

Is there a picture of the break that can be shared?
I would be a little concerned that it might break again just outside the new epoxied joint, along the next weakest grain.
I repaired a mast that broke once by adding a layer of cloth around the outside, in effect making a large permanent ferule. The boat was sort of rough and tumble so the work did not seem too out of place.
I’m going to head over to the boat shortly and will snap pics. I really like the idea of putting a layer of glass over the epoxy glued section. Not really sure what impact that may have given that the soars were intended to have uniform flex to them, but worth a try!

I’m going to head over to the boat shortly and will snap pics. I really like the idea of putting a layer of glass over the epoxy glued section. Not really sure what impact that may have given that the soars were intended to have uniform flex to them, but worth a try!
It would affect the flex pattern. It might be tough to find clear Sitka spruce in Michigan and expensive to ship from the PNW. I think there are some areas in Michigan that have a wooden boat culture. If any are worth driving to you might reach out to some shipwrights there to see if they have any offcuts. In fact there is a wooden boat school somewhere in Michigan which might be a good place to start.

It would affect the flex pattern. It might be tough to find clear Sitka spruce in Michigan and expensive to ship from the PNW. I think there are some areas in Michigan that have a wooden boat culture. If any are worth driving to you might reach out to some shipwrights there to see if they have any offcuts. In fact there is a wooden boat school somewhere in Michigan which might be a good place to start.
As a matter of fact, she’s going to live on Waloon Lake, in MI, so might be perfect. I bought. Ritish Standard Marine plywood in Detroit this spring at a place that may have them. Thanks for the suggestion!

As a matter of fact, she’s going to live on Waloon Lake, in MI, so might be perfect. I bought. Ritish Standard Marine plywood in Detroit this spring at a place that may have them. Thanks for the suggestion!
Good luck. What is the diameter and length of the spar? I am in Port Townsend, WA, which is a wooden boat hotbed. I also sold marine lumber and plywood for 7 years for a place called Edensaw Woods. I can check around here.

1.5 inch diameter - 174” (13.67 feet)

Originals were Sitka spruce, but anything with about that amount of flex would suffice. I’ve read that poplar is also popular.

Poplar is easier to come by but not used as a marine lumber. But if you can get that easily and can find a straight piece, as long as it is sealed up with varnish and you keep an eye on it, it COULD work. It does often have a green hue to it and is mostly considered a paint grade wood.

Poplar is easier to come by but not used as a marine lumber. But if you can get that easily and can find a straight piece, as long as it is sealed up with varnish and you keep an eye on it, it COULD work. It does often have a green hue to it and is mostly considered a paint grade wood.
Any idea on marine lumber pole that would come in 1.5 diameter and also be available in a roughly 14 foot length?

It's probably dry and may snap again. Spruce would be best, a good woodworker could craft one out of a clear section of a 2x piece of lumber. Pine or fir maybe, but they get heavier.

Will try to help later but check online for a dowel manufacturer. A mahogany type would or Douglas Fir would be good choices.
Here is a company that has a 12’ 2” diameter mahogany dowel for $77. It might be the same or more to ship. It’s also the wrong diameter and too short. You might call them because they will know the most about this. In the meantime I will, when I get a chance, ask a sawyer I know who cuts Sitka spruce cants for a living. He might have an off cut. It would be square and need resawing. Not sure if that approach is worth your while.

Here is a company that has a 12’ 2” diameter mahogany dowel for $77. It might be the same or more to ship. It’s also the wrong diameter and too short. You might call them because they will know the most about this. In the meantime I will, when I get a chance, ask a sawyer I know who cuts Sitka spruce cants for a living. He might have an off cut. It would be square and need resawing. Not sure if that approach is worth your while.

It's probably dry and may snap again. Spruce would be best, a good woodworker could craft one out of a clear section of a 2x piece of lumber. Pine or fir maybe, but they get heavier.
Thanks Kent - This is for RRD/Woodie. She needs the best I can find. Her owner picked her up and I was devastated when I found the split, but you are I’m sure very spot on…it may split again, as may the other spar, given her “mature” age.

Attention Oracles of Boatlandia:

RRD (now Woodie) has been picked up by her new owner, who has lined up a craftsman in Michigan to complete her re-build.

I was horrified to discover when pulling down her wooden spars from the rack in my garage that the boom one had snapped approx mid-length, with about an 8 inch diagonal tear.

Question: does anyone know where I might procure another wooden spar? Or know a source for 14’ poles?

Bigger question: would nice flexible Thixo wood tone suffice to mend the snapped spar?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.View attachment 57767
Still looking. I reached out to person here who has a set but haven’t heard back. Also, anyone in Massachusetts who’d be willing to do a delivery for $500 of an entire boat/trailer? It needs to get to Walloon Lake in MI. You can keep the boat etc., but need to leave the spare and mast in MI.

That dowel would however make a FINE wooden mast that would meet OEM. Unfortunately, to my understanding, the vast majority of them snapped and were replaced by Alcort on customer report /request by the rare tapered aluminum mast with aluminum cap at top. Woodie left my home three days ago with one of those :)
Would a"couple of coats of epoxy resin be sufficient to strengthen the finished dowel?

Would a"couple of coats of epoxy resin be sufficient to strengthen the finished dowel?
I can’t speak as to how they did them originally, but last night I watched a video of Jimmy Diresta applying two coats of what he referred to as fiberglass mat, to both the interior and exterior of a gorgeous wooden canoe. I think it was plain old fiberglass cloth, and the end result was stunning, with no evidence of the fiberglass visible on camera.

I’ve been on a quest to find these darn piles, and I’m seriously considering reinforcing them with glass in the same way

Edited to add that the video I watched had him talking about the process. I’m sure it’s out there on YouTube - I saw it on the This Old House Makers Chanel on SamsungTV.

Back