SNAP

Murphs

Goodbye bottom section

yesterday my standard bottom section finally succumbed to its old age and snapped. i was sailing downwind and the boat got the rolls. she heeled over to windward and i dived across to save it and then wondered why it came back up so easily.

luckily is was only training and there was a laser dealer up the road. organised a new section while everyone was having lunch and i was back on the water 30 mins after everyone else.

new section is much lighter than the old one and feels like it bends alot more. havent noticed any loss in height but my acceleration feels much better in the gusts

sounds...intresting, ive never had a mast fail on me, had planty where shrouds have snapped etc, so what happened was the rig in the water?

do u have a mast safety line?

the mast safety line was still on, except it was only holding a very small section of mast in.

the rest of the rig was in the water and our coach boat helped me unrig it and roll the sail up

training event yesterday, 15-20knts, 8 boats,

my mate dave decided that a 3 sectioned mast would be better then a 2 section mast,

not quiet sure what happed i turnround just in time to see him hit the water with a snapped top section, comptley trashed his sail,

u know the mini hawk wind indacotors?
i had on the sat on the bow eye, deathroled, scrambled up to the windward side half way over the gunnal the mast hit the water the boat stop but i didn'ti slid the full length of the full, following the contour of the gunnal head-butted the wind indicator heard a SNAP, when i swam over to the daggerboard and cklimed up i saw it was gone,

thats £20 givven to the fish

Back