Skipper Johnsons RACE 3 - Water!

Skipper Johnson

Hello,

Thank you all for being so kind to a beginner. Below is the Race report for race 3.

Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink

I sail to start line in plenty of time (I thought). As I’m trying to get to the line, the wind completely stops. 1 minute to the start and I’m sitting here in no wind trying to get to the start line. There is a silver lining. Most of the other boats – all too experienced and cool to leave land with more than 10 minutes to go – are also becalmed.

The start hooter goes. And three boats cross the line. I’m still trying to get there – as are the rest of the field. Finally, I cross the start line and I’m away, and due to great skill (and the minor fact all the other boats are becalmed trying to reach the line), I’m in fourth place!!

And then something amazing happens. I would like to say it was pure skill, and the ability to read the shifting conditions - but in reality I was just sitting in my boat steering toward the leading pack of three – I start to catch them. Good God! I am now within 6 boat lengths of the lead, and catching! Now I am within 3 lengths. Bloody Hell – if this keeps up I’ll get to the first mark and then…and then I won’t have anyone else to follow, I will be the leader!!

I get within one boat length of the lead, and thankfully whatever I was doing stops and I stay just behind the leaders. How good is this!

There is now a leading pack of four – which naturally includes me – as we round the first buoy. As we head to buoy number two, I notice a catamaran – faster than me – making up ground. But I’m loving this, I’m sitting in fourth place, challenging for the lead surely this is going to be the perfect day. Maybe I’ll win!

Heading to the next buoy I again see the catamaran continuing to make ground. Looks like we are going to get to the buoy together. Great, this means the Rules of Boating and Yacht Racing 2005/2006 will come into play. I know you’re thinking that I have studied the Rules of Boating and Yacht Racing 2005/2006 and therefore will be aware of the specific conditions relating to rounding the leeward mark. It is my sad duty to inform you that in fact I have not.

I was comfortable in fourth place but wary of the catamaran. We edge toward the leeward mark, and the catamaran seems to go inside me, and yells “Buoy Room!” Of course, if I had have read the Rules of Boating and Yacht Racing 2005/2006 I would have known that having established an overlap within two boat lengths of the leeward mark the inside boat can call Buoy Room. Basically as I just move over. And round we go. Due to a beautiful move I edge in front of the catamaran. They then yell “Water!!” Water? Is this boat just making stuff up every time I get close?

I'm about to offer the Mr. Catamaran a drink when I think maybe Water has something more to do with that bank ahead, I realise that if I don’t turn (Okay Tack), I might end up running the Mr Catamaran into the bank. So that’s what water means – if you don’t move you are going to run me into the bank and ruin my boat, so get out of the friggin way you dipstick. I turn. Seemingly now the Mr. Catamaran is cross and gets on my inside and forces me wide off the course. I see the other boats getting away, but I am hemmed in by Mr Catamaran, unable to turn, stuck.

Seeing the other boats are getting away, I politely inquire of Mr Catamaran, “are you going to tack?” Confirmation that not giving “water” is a bad thing, he replies “You’re dreaming”.

Finally, I get free (or more accurately the Mr Catamaran moves off) but now I am back midfield. This is where I finish. An enjoyable day apart from the Water incident.

Footnote: After the race I discover Mr Catamaran is someone they call the Commodore. I think that means they are important. Whoopsies!

Back