Skipper J gets scared

Most easily handled by sitting well back ...... in the bar that is.

If you sail full rig - try a radial for the day.

Tie stopper knot in mainsheet a couple of metres from the end so the boom can't go so far out when running downwind. Leave centre board down all the way downwind.

Lift the centre board 10-15cm when going upwind if you're really heeling badly.

Have everything REAL tight upwind BUT watch out for getting caught in irons when tacking. Make tacks very fast and agressive - ease the main ! If you get stuck in irons, let off the vang to help get it going again then pull on again.

EASE Hike Trim

hey skipper j, cool sounds like fun. after my experiance last weekend in heavy air, take a few minutes to check all the screws on the boat and check the knots on your rigging, especialy on the vang...........good luck....terry

Sit on the dock drink some beer and watch the carnage. Learn through the mistakes of others.

Don't cleat your sail during tacks ;)

If you have lots of chop I suggest you leave the outhaul off several inches. The extra power at the bottom of the sail will help you pound through the chop, but won't contribute much to heel.

Prepare to get wet, and take out the smallest rig you can lay your hands on!
As long as you are going to be safe, (safety boaty cover) go out and enjoy it. You might want to hold back at the start so as not to hit too many boats, I imagine the other boats will need the head start though;)

Thanks everyone. 4 hours to go. I like the suggestion of sitting back at the bar and watching the carnage, but out club doesnt have one. (not sure why I joined but there you go).

1. On the run: Work with the mainsheet (= your "gas-pedal") during the gusts hit your sail.. The work with the mainsheet is your insurance to not give the boat the chance to capsize to leeward every 3 minutes....
2.On the run: If the boat wants to begin to heel into the wind, show her you are the boss - and simultaneaous, while hiking like the devil and working the mainsheet, push the tiller-extension as like you not want to heel. This 3 things will control "the ghost", that lives in your Laser in such winds, a lot ;) That the deck has to be REALLY flat during that course, you have to take care all time, of cousre.

Not a bad strategy is, not to sail as high to the wind as possible and lose time to come back into the race aft several capszisings - better sail a save and capsize-free course (not so high to the wind, of course) but in result quicker!

To win the race, you "only" have to be at all the quickest Laser between the starting line and the finishing-line, that's the only and , I agree, "trivial" secret...

Stay wet
LooserLu

The bottom line is that if you go out over your head, you probably won't die. Regardless, you likely will get wet, and tired. Only you can decide how wet, cold, and tired you want to get. Easiest way to decide is ask yourself, "Am I a safety risk to myself or others?" and "Am I having fun?" A "no" answer to either should make your choice about sailing or not obvious, especially if it's about safety. The amount of risk you're willing to take is up to you, and certainly some risk is always involved. If I were you, I'd go out in the blowing wind, have as much fun as you can, and if you get too tired and risk safety, pull out. Use the race as a great learning lesson.
Good luck and have fun. I'm looking forward to hearing how you fared.

Back