Singing Laser?

rockypondgirl

Hello all,

Semi-novice Laser sailor here, with a quick question that's confounded all the instructors I've asked: sometimes when I'm zipping along, the combination of wind and wave (I sail in Lake Michigan near Chicago) gets the boat humming--literally! :D It's a great sound, and a wonderful sensation--it feels like I'm going really fast--possibly planing. Mostly it happens when I'm close-hauled, but it can also happen on other points of sail.

I'm curious what's causing it, and what it means performance-wise. The best explanation I've heard is that it's sympathetic vibration of the rudder, hull, and centerboard. Most folks I've talked to say that the "hum" means the boat's going very fast, but I'm wondering if the vibration might come from too much resistance (and therefore indicate that the boat is going slower than possible).

So, what's the deal? Has anyone else experienced this? What does it mean, and is it something I should shoot for?

Thanks!
RPG

If the centre board is humming while you're close hauled you're either not sailing a laser, you've discovered how to plane upwind in a laser, or there is something wrong elsewhere. Usually the centre board hums when you're on a reach and planing. It's caused by the huge clearance in the centre board slot and the thickness and shape of the trailing edge of the centreboard. Everyone except laser sailors thinks it is bad. Unfortunately it means your board shape is not efficient, but since there's nothing we can do about it, think of it as a an element of speed.

Stage one. board keeps popping up - slow to dead stopped.

Stage two. board stays put - slow to average speed.

Stage three. visible planing speed. - planing

Stage four. board hums - faster than just on the plane.

Stage five. water shoots up the centre case, board hums - almost as fast as you'll get.

Stage six. water shoots up case, board hums, eyeballs full of salt water while surfing down 4 metre wave. - fast.

I love the laser hummmmm... my nine year old daughters got to feel it for the first time over the weekend in 20+ wind... Then, the fairlead on the starboard side popped out of the deck and the fun was over, for now..

Back