Similar (Sunfish) trailer registration issue

pkkriz

I purchased a used Sunfish from someone in Massachusetts last fall, complete with trailer. I called the Rhode Island DMV to find out what I needed to register the trailer, and was told (after I was scolded for not requiring them from the previous owner at time of transaction) that I need: 1) a bill of sale (fairly easy to obtain) 2) proof that the previous owner "owned" the trailer-- either an old title or old registration. I have e-mailed the seller requesting this information, but I am pessimistic he will have any of this in his possession, as he infrequently trailered it on the road, and probably never registered the trailer.

Has anyone encountered a similar predicament? I sense I may have to purchase a new trailer in order to travel with my Sunfish :(

Any info/past experiences would be helpful.

Thanks,

Pete

Here in Texas, this same scenario happens all the time. The alternate recourse is to register the trailer as a "home built". By doing it this way there is no need for previous registrations, registration transferal, bill of sale, etc., and also eliviates paying sales tax on the purchase price of the trailer, which if the trailer is included in with your boat then there is no purchase value placed specifically on the trailer. So why pay sales tax on something you did not actually buy out right?

Check with your area tax office (or who ever issues the license plates at registration) anonymously and ask them what the requirements are for registering a home made trailer. Your state may have provision for this.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I got an identical response when I asked a store manager at West Marine (boating store). Apparently this is a common scenario, and the "home built trailer" is the loophole.

So here's my question: when they ask what your intend to use it for, what's the best response-- small sailboat (the most truthful), or general yard use (trailering mulch, yardwaste, etc.)?

PKK

Hi Pete-
I went through this exact same situation 2 years ago. My dad gave me a trailer (he lives in MA), and I was in RI. The trailer had never been registered, and he did not have a title.

As Starfish mentioned, I just went to the DMV and told them it was a "home-made" trailer. Just be sure to tell them that it was built over 10 years ago, and that it is rated for less than 500 lbs, and you shouldn't have any problem.

I then just moved back from RI to MA, and went through a similar process. Except in MA, you have to show proof of liability insurance on the trailer. in RI you do not.

Good luck!

I'm not sure that what you use it for is an important factor.....at least here in Texas. When I registered mine, they were more concerned with the total weight (or it may be axle weight rating) rather than what I'd be hauling on it because this is how they determine the cost of the registration. I do remember telling them that it was to carry a small sailboat weighing around 130 lbs. and the total wieght (including trailer) would be less than 500 lbs. in the course of our conversation. As it turns out, my registration was around $35 per year.

I would do some "homework" by calling the office and asking them how they determine the registration costs on a home built trailer and go from there. Just pick their brain when you talk to them and maybe they can give you enough information that you'll know which way to go when you finally go down to get it registered.

Back