Silva compass index

Is something I'm missing here or is my compass index off. The numbers on the side of the index do not match the numbers on top. I bought it used but the indexing does not make sense to me. Does someone have a manuel for this compass also I have tried searching this topic but i found a dead link to the manuel.

Attachments

• 2012-09-30 07.52.29-1.jpg
    2012-09-30 07.52.29-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 38
The markings on the side are not degrees. It is scaled where 10=90 degrees. That way when tacking, you only have to add or subtract 10 instead of 90.

As torrid tried to explain, the marks on the side are not related to degrees. They are meant to make it easier to note shifts etc.

As a public service, I have scanned my old instructions into a .pdf file.

Attachments

• nexus_silva_103_compass_instructions.pdf
    252.7 KB · Views: 56
Mr. P made me a compass for dummies guide, shift by shift. I didn't get until this ...

http://www.impropercourse.com/2012/09/shifts-lakes-and-compasses.html

Think there might be one small typo in there...

"When I spent time with Frank Bethwaite, he taught me about how to measure the timing between these shifts, how this time would decrease when going upwind, and how they would decrease going downwind. "

Timing (time between shifts) should increase going downwind.

Think there might be one small typo in there...

"When I spent time with Frank Bethwaite, he taught me about how to measure the timing between these shifts, how this time would decrease when going upwind, and how they would decrease going downwind. "

Timing (time between shifts) should increase going downwind.

Good catch! You're absolutely right. Thanks!

Thank you all for the great information. Most of it could not be found in 5 seconds on google... probable 30 seconds. Although I wouldn't trust it unless it came from you guys first.

Back