Should I get a Sunfish?

Lando

I have been offered a free sunfish with out any rigging, rudder, or centerboard from a distant relative, that does not want give/sell the boat to a stranger. The boat would require a little maintenance and cleaning, but I think I can handle that. I already have a minifish. I don't really want to purchase the rigging, rudder, tiller, centerboard, etc. for the sunfish. Will these items from the minifish fit the sunfish.
By the way I have not seen the boat, so I cannot compare them and my uncle does not have a camera or computer to send me pictures.

Also if the rigging and etc. does fit, how would the sunfish sail with a minifish's 65 square foot sail oppose to 75?
Thanks.

Also if the rigging and etc. does fit, how would the sunfish sail with a minifish's 65 square foot sail oppose to 75?
Thanks.

If you sail in an area of occasional high winds, the smaller sail would be just what you need. :)

There are days I'd like to swap for a minifish sail. :oops:

I am looking for just a Sunfish hull.. I have all the other parts. I am in Madison, WI.... Nearby? Want to sell the hull ? Thanks.

I am looking for just a Sunfish hull.. I have all the other parts. I am in Madison, WI.... Nearby? Want to sell the hull ? Thanks.

I don't think so, I am in Alabama. (Kind of far away) I also just found out that it does have the rigging and a torn up sail that I might be able to repair. Sorry.

I have been offered a free sunfish with out any rigging, rudder, or centerboard from a distant relative, that does not want give/sell the boat to a stranger. The boat would require a little maintenance and cleaning, but I think I can handle that. I already have a minifish. I don't really want to purchase the rigging, rudder, tiller, centerboard, etc. for the sunfish. Will these items from the minifish fit the sunfish.
By the way I have not seen the boat, so I cannot compare them and my uncle does not have a camera or computer to send me pictures.

Thanks.

The rudder and board from the minifish should work just fine. The tiller length on your minifish rudder is likely shorter, s o you will probably want to compensate for that with a longer tiller extension for times you sail the Sunfish, which is no big deal ( if inclined, you can make one up).

The mini mast and sail will be quite serviceable, as was already noted above. The mast length will be a foot less, but this is the setting you would want for the equivalent of a heavy air jens set-up, so the mini mast should be perfectly fine for you going forward. The smaller mini sail itself will be workable. If you ever do decide to ' upgrade' to the larger Sunfish sail remember that you will also need to get longer spars, also, since the mini spars are a foot shorter. Depending on where you find them, that would quite possibly be the most expensive part of this whole thing. No rush for that, though. Just use the mini sail for awhile.

Thanks, so much everybody for your suggestions. I think I will use the minifish parts on the sunfish untill I can sell the minifish and then use that money to buy the proper parts for the sunfish. Thanks.

Back