Shipping a boat after purchase

Has anyone on here ever used a firm such as uship.com in order to move a boat after buying it?

I live in D21 and there seems to be a real lack of used boats in this district, most are 1000+ miles away.

Re: Shipping a boat after pruchase

that's a long way to deliver a boat, besides, who the heck wants to drive through the upper midwest in the middle of winter.

Most trucking companies will handle it. You have to shop rates, (try and do it thru your company who may have much better rates set up) We shipped a Laser from CT to Nevada a couple years ago for approx $600 That did not include boxing it up.

just for giggles i called FedEx Freight and got a quote from them... $1100, that was only after the nice gal on the other end said she would give me a 51% discount for being a frequent customer (she was just being nice, the only time i use FedEx is for overnight document delivery)

I've used uship.com, as both a shipper and as the trucker. Describe the boat carefully, as noone will know that a 14 footer can be 130 lbs, etc. I advertise as a trucker/sailor, and have hauled to FL and back 4-5 times(when I was going anyways), for very grateful new boat owners. I carry spares, tires, grease, tools, fix lights, have a legal plate, etc. because I don't want to be delayed, as well as to protect their new baby.

1000 miles, if someone was going anyway, should be a 3-400 bid. A trucker's main concern is how much time is wasted on each end, not the weight/cubes. So, offer to meet them at a truck stop on a major route, vs. deliver to a residence, etc.

I've used craigslist.org rideshare, and got a laser from VT to Oregon for 300. on a subaru with a Thule. The young college guy was thrilled as that was 90+% of his cost.

So, yes, it's worth a try. Also, let people here know, and on sailing anarchy.

Al

Wow. I delivered my old boat to up state ny for the guy.im from philly. anything to make the seller happy.

Well, that's cool, but that's not anything close to 1000 miles. How much did you charge for the trip or adjust on the price of the boat?

Back