Serial Number - AMF26817M75C --- Need Year of Manufacturing

k3c4forlife

I am in the processing of redoing an old Sunfish. I bought new line, a new sail, new sail clips, and a bunch of misc. replacement parts. The sailboat hull is in great condition but I know it's pretty old based on the conversation I had with the guy who was selling it. The Sunfish came with the dagger board but is missing the rudder/tiller assembly. It is my understanding that the rudder style changed over the years (specifically in the early 1970s) and I am hesitant to buy a replacement until I know what year the Sunfish was built.

I'm sure this will be an easy question for a lot of the Sunfish guys on here - but what year was my boat manufactured? Also do you have any links to where I can buy a replacement rudder/tiller? If you can provide some links to my specific boat features, etc that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

As far as the rudder goes there are only two styles The top it pre 72. If you have the old style you might have to have to find a rudder on eBay.
B3EE9F89-0E3F-4526-89AE-7CEA6517FC32.jpeg
34A4C169-842F-47A1-A9A9-D196144145BD.jpeg

OK - so there are only 2 styles? I definitely have the bottom style.

Would this rudder/tiller assembly work?

OK - so there are only 2 styles? I definitely have the bottom style.

Would this rudder/tiller assembly work?
Yes, if you zoom in you can see mine looks almost the same, I built my rudder
3000FC04-DA4F-47C3-A1AB-120B0ACB6780.jpeg

Just purchased the one I linked on eBay. Thank you all for your help! Seems like a great little community here!
If you could cancel the eBay purchase, Alan’s is more desirable. The metal cheeks are much more durable than the plastic, and Alan’s appears to be legal for racing. The he one you bought sounds questionable.

Congratulations on your new ride.
AMF26817M75C
Your boat was built by AMF
Hull number 26817
Model Year 1975
C means it was built in October

FYI the rudder system changed over in 1972, so as you have figured out, you have the "new style" rudder tension springs, stainless gudgeon, pintle and spring.

Insert random boat photo here...

89E78F95-5CCA-427D-91D1-DB4F788F014A.jpeg

Back