Separating Hull and Deck

Fosty

I have seen lots of things about how to fix deck/hull delamination but does anyone have info on how to seperate them to work on them. I had a tree fall on mine while it was on the trailer, basically splitting it half way across. The deck and hull were actually touching in the middle. At the time (2007) it was 24 years old and did not even have a scratch on the hull. I got it new in 85 (it was an 84) when I was 11 and have babied it ever since. It was always kept indoor in the winter and always stored with hull and deck covers. I used to race it but life got in the way. I thought the rainbow deck and sail were great when I was 11 but when I really wanted to race it, it stuck out like a sore thumb and the deck was too slipperly where the gelcoat was smooth to make room for the strip. I realize it will never race again but I think with some time I could make it sailable at the cottage. I realize it will be a lot of work, and most will say just go get a new hull but it is more for nostalgia than anything else. Any help getting it apart so I can really look at the damage would be great. I have posted some pix of it with the tree on it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fosty/sets/72157621039051454/

Attachments

• DSC_2895.jpg
    DSC_2895.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_2897.JPG
    DSC_2897.JPG
    472.7 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_2908.JPG
    DSC_2908.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_2911.JPG
    DSC_2911.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 149
Re: Seperating Hull and Deck

Having just restored a 35 yr old laser ...it was tough enough starting with a sound boat. And expensive. I understand the sentimental value of your boat...mine belonged to a great friend who died a tragic death shortly after selling the boat to me. If It was me, I would modify it so that the "sound " remaining sections of the boat were "displayed" coming out of my gameroom wall in a cool mural and or bar! That way I could always share a drink with others in the presence of my famed yet unfortunate craft. Surround it with large pictures and make a kind of shrine! ...Then start looking for a new boat. Best of luck, Eric

WOW THAT IS ONE HELL OF A KARATE CHOP (WELL DONE TREE) LOL.
**** That is one bad write off lol urm i would get all of the fitings off and fill cockpit with petrol chuck a match in and tell insurance what happened and get a pay out or a new boat!!! not worth the effort if it wont sail again and youll need a hell of a lot of polish to buff all of that out !!!!!

GOOD LUCK BUT I WOULD CLAIM ON THE INSURANCE!!!

In addition to the hull/deck joint along the outside edge, the deck is bonded to the hull at the bottom of the mast tube, the top of the daggerboard trunk. The cockpit drain is also bonded together, but that is usually not a strong bond. There may be another weak bond along the cockpit floor/hull

Having just restored a 35 yr old laser ...it was tough enough starting with a sound boat. And expensive. I understand the sentimental value of your boat...mine belonged to a great friend who died a tragic death shortly after selling the boat to me. If It was me, I would modify it so that the "sound " remaining sections of the boat were "displayed" coming out of my gameroom wall in a cool mural and or bar! That way I could always share a drink with others in the presence of my famed yet unfortunate craft. Surround it with large pictures and make a kind of shrine! ...Then start looking for a new boat. Best of luck, Eric

Thanks, Eric. I am actually in the process of renoing my basement and had that exact same thought.

WOW THAT IS ONE HELL OF A KARATE CHOP (WELL DONE TREE) LOL.
**** That is one bad write off lol urm i would get all of the fitings off and fill cockpit with petrol chuck a match in and tell insurance what happened and get a pay out or a new boat!!! not worth the effort if it wont sail again and youll need a hell of a lot of polish to buff all of that out !!!!!

GOOD LUCK BUT I WOULD CLAIM ON THE INSURANCE!!!

Insurance already paid out in full. Pictures were good enough and wrote off the trailer too since it was was bent too, but has since been straightened. The worst part was although it was insured for full value when it was bought, I think it had actually appreciated and being insured for 20 some odd years, I had paid more in premiums than I got back. As I said, it is more something to work on in my free time. I am looking for a hull now. I am saving the insurance to buy a new boat for my daugther when she is older (2 now).

I agree w/ xflyer - it would make a good conversation piece coming out of a wall. I would also save the transom so you have the HIN.

I hope you share the pictures of your "project" with the rest of us when you complete it! We will all lift a glass to toast the new role your boat will dutifully perform as well the past memories it will always represent.....on the count of three..CHEERS!
Eric

1. Merileee..Please fix the title spelling.

2. Good luck with the repair.

3. Make certain you undestand the insurance issues regarding continued use of a totaled boat. Will you have liability coversge??

I did a quick search and came up with Dremel for the gunwale joint. You also have points inside the hull to separate and there are other posts on that.

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=5966&highlight=delamination+saw

I used a dremel to separate the deck and hull on my L2. I found it easiest to use a cut-off wheel and then gently pry the hull apart for a flat screwdriver. If you work it slowly and cut the filler about 1/2" deep it seemed to split pretty easily. I've attached a pic of the dremel cutter (not doing that particular task).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7522806&l=80f6995ad4&id=669810173

Good Luck,
Matt

Thanks for the Dremel tip everyone. I have a bunch of those cut off wheels in the garage and I have the flexible tool holder for my dremmel as well that would make it even easier. I will give it a go on the weekend. My father in law had heard that a heat gun and some prying my help get it apart as well. I will dremmel as much as I can and give it a little heat as I pry.

The boat is on its 10 hour trip back from up north as I write this and should be here any minute (hopefully it makes it, I would say in one piece but I think that is out the window, I just hope it isn't in any more). Here is to starting another project when I already have to many on the go and all I want to do is be on the water or on a ride on a twisty back road. This will probably take 'til the spring to be finished (not like it was going to be quick anyway), I will see how it goes.

Fosty

Back