Self Bailing Cockpit?

Stephen Chase

Hi Everyone,

Just bought an older Sunfish and am brand new at sailing. Who knew sailboats were fast? Not me!

I have a question about the self bailing cockpit. When I took my boat out I noticed that about a half inch to an inch of water stayed in the cockpit all the time. Is that typical or do I need to check the one way valve?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Open the self baler plug on the starboard tack and let the boat heel to assist the draining of the cockpit then cap the baler on the port tack. It should not be left open all the time only when needed other wise you will end up with a cockpit of water as you have found out.

Minas man

The faster the boat goes, the better the bailer will get rid of excess water. But it doesn't work perfectly; that's for sure.

Many carry a sponge to remove the last bit of water.

Last edited:
I never use my baler cause I never capsize, but did go over this weekend in about 20 mph wind trying to jibe. Ended up with about 6" of water in the cockpit after riting the boat. I was traveling fast, running with wind, so I thought the self baler would work well. I opened it but it did not seem to be removing water, after several minutes. In fact, I occasionally saw bubbles at the baler. I thought it might be taking water in so I closed back up and just sailed with it. I did not have a spong and it was too windy to deal with it otherwise. I have the old style, metal baler. Is it worthless? Or was it draining and I didn't know it? I swear the water seemed to be getting a bit deeper in the cockpit. ......I guess if it's another couple years before my next capsize I'm not going to get too into this, but still bugs me. It should work.....

I never use my baler cause I never capsize, but did go over this weekend in about 20 mph wind trying to jibe. Ended up with about 6" of water in the cockpit after riting the boat. I was traveling fast, running with wind, so I thought the self baler would work well. I opened it but it did not seem to be removing water, after several minutes. In fact, I occasionally saw bubbles at the baler. I thought it might be taking water in so I closed back up and just sailed with it. I did not have a spong and it was too windy to deal with it otherwise. I have the old style, metal baler. Is it worthless? Or was it draining and I didn't know it? I swear the water seemed to be getting a bit deeper in the cockpit. ......I guess if it's another couple years before my next capsize I'm not going to get too into this, but still bugs me. It should work.....
I
Sailkb: I would check your bailer while on land to see if it's not plugged up.
My cockpit takes on a small amount of water as soon as I put the boat in the water. It never fills and never empties after that. That can't be right.

Here's a schematic of a plastic bailer:
Do you have all the pieces?

Attachments

• Sunfish bailer.jpg
    Sunfish bailer.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 50

Back