Seitech Fat Wheel Laser Dolly: Floating Issues?

laserbill2

I am in the market for a dolly that will be used on sand part of the time so I am considering the Seitech Laser Fat Wheel Dolly. I have heard comments that the Fat Wheel dolly floats which may make it akward to launch and recover boats. Does anone have any input on this?

I have the same issue with the standard wheels. Launching isn't a problem, but recovering is a hassel. To get the boat back on the dolly you must get the yellow strap past the bow by either shoving the dolly under the boat or lifting the bow over the strap. Either method is a pain. I think it's a live with it or get rid of the dolly situation.

It will happen with any boat with inflatable wheels. i personally always launch from sand and love my dolly.

My viewpoint is slightly different - I like the fact that the dolly does not sink in the rear end. It helps guide the hull on the dolly and keeps it more or less centered.

I've watched guys load on dollys that don't float in waves and and/or cross winds and it's almost comical as the hull moves outside the upright etc...

Also my aluminium, standard-wheeled dolly floats and I also think that's good for launching and loading from sandy beaches. As 49208 says, it helps keeping the boat centered.

Paolo

Do owners of standard wheel dollies that use them in sand think the standard wheels are good enough or is it worth it to spend more for the Fat Wheels?

laserbill2 said:
Do owners of standard wheel dollies that use them in sand think the standard wheels are good enough or is it worth it to spend more for the Fat Wheels?

I have never tried a fat wheeled one (never seen one in Italy) so I can't compare them but standard wheels work good at least on compressed, touristic-type :cool: beaches.

Paolo

laserbill2 said:

For 90% of the beaches I use I'm happy with the standard wheels. I think the bigger issue is how tired you are and how much of an incline there is to pull up against.

We have one dolly out of 50 boats where I sail with the fat wheels and watching him, it doesn't look any easier....

yah i have standard wheels and they work fine on sandy beaches and even with a bit of a bump that you have to get over it is fine. i've never seen fat wheels

I have both the Fat Wheel Dolly and the Standard Wheels on a second dolly. The fat ones make it much easier in the Michigan beach sand to move the boat around. Choose the fat wheels if you have loose sand to move the boat on.

I have the standard wheels and my dolly floats also but not as high as the fat tires.
The dolly floating does help to keep the boat centered when recovering but because my dolly does not float as high as the fat tire version there is no difficulty in loading. You may want to consider putting some ballast in the cross bar between the axles to try to achieve a more neutral boyancy then you can have the best of both. BTW standard wheels roll fine on Northern California (pretty dense usually) Sand.

laserbill2 said:

For a 130 pound laser you really don't need the fat wheels.....solution for floating is place your foot on the dolly as you pull the boat on to it...

I must disagree with the previous post. On Lake Michigan beach sand (it is like sugar) if you have to pull the dolly and boat very far it is much easier to use the fat tires. The larger (fat) tires do float more in the water but if you just put your foot on it when loading it is not a problem. I have used both, the normal tires work but the fat ones are easier.

Just my two cents worth, but the best way to deal with floating issues is this:

Remove wheel
Deflate the tyre totally, until it's actually coming away from the rim.
Get a bicycle pump, and attach it to the valve.
Hold the tyre underwater, away from sand, in the shallows so the tyre fills with water
When it has a decent amount in it, reinflate so the tyre seals to the rim again. Keep inflating to desired pressure.
You might try a few iterations between having a tyre that doesn't float and one that you can lift!!

Has worked perfectly for me.
/Andy

I have noticed that my dolly floats, for a while, until the aluminum
pieces fill with water. Then it sinks or is less buoyant.

I haven't tried it, but if you drill a few holes in the aluminum supports,
top and bottom, it should fill (and drain) faster.

Haven't tried it. You could reduce the strength of the dolly, tho.

Laser76489 said:
If you live in an area that the temperature goes below freezing you will very quickly ruin a good set of tires.

:confused: Hmmm, good point. I suppose, you could, maybe, empty the water out once a year before the temperature goes below freezing.

Back