seitech 2-boat trailer racks

markhamlin

I was just thinking of the seitech 2 boat trailer racks... the ones where you put your boat (laser) deck-down, and I realized something. How do you keep your boat from sliding forwards or backwards and off, onto the road? I suppose a line from one side of the rack frame through the bow eye and back to the frame on the other side keeps it from going forwards, but what about backwards? Maybe something around the rudder pins (i forgot the names for these)? The pins would be facing up, so if you put a rope from the bottom of the rack through the pin and to the bottom on the other side, that'd keep it....

How do you do it? we were considering getting a rack.

Not nec.

You just tie the boat down to the crossbars - same way you would if you were using roof racks.

how would you do it if you had a roof rack? Just tie straight down with ratchet straps? what stops forwards/back movement?

You tie across at each cross bar.

The width of the boat at the front bar when tied prevents the boat from moving forward. The width of the boat at the rear bar prevents the boat from moving backwords.

yeah the tapering of the boats shape makes it so the part in the middle is wider than either end and the wide part cant fit throught the small hole that the strap and the boat form. Its kind of like how a 400 lb man cant fit in a regular stadium seat, it just doesnt work.

so just tie the rope off at one side, do one loop around the hull, and then tie off at the other side, for the front and back? sounds like it works.

Another question:
We were considering making our own rack. Does anybody have the length dimension? Something like 8 or 9 feet?

Back