Sea vs inland sailing

ewen shackel

Hello all
I sail on small lake normally but next may I am competing in a regatta on the sea for the first time. So I was wondering what will be different between the two and are there any skills that will be more important on the sea than on a lake.
Many thanks
Ewen

Sailing on the ocean will be REALLY different, unless the water is flat (unlikely). If possible, you should practice sailing your Laser in waves. Easier said than done; :(.

You can read and watch videos, but there's no substitute for practice.

I 'suffer' from being a lake/river sailor as well...

Yes big difference in how the boat is Sailed in Waves.Go there and watch the fast guys and be willing to adjust and copy.probably accept the fact that the guys that sail in the bigger waves are going to be faster upwind and surf more waves then you downwind.
If you get lighter shifter wind then you will feel right at home.

Thank you for all your input guys
I'm just wondering if there are any skill sets that will be used more on the sea vs inland so I can focus my winter and spring training around them
Many thanks
Ewen

Without any personal Laser experience from the Ocean I guess that beeing really good at sailing s-curves in sync with waves and wind payes of better on the longer and bigger waves.

My experience is sea-sailors are better at boat-handling through waves and such, while lake-sailors are better tactical sailors for varying circumstances like wind shifts or changes in strength.

Back