Screw bedding

cwm_kmm2001

Somehow last night I bent one of the loops of the cunningham/vang fairlead plate as well as one of the edges of the plate. The screws seem fine though. I also want to change out my hiking strap. So my question is, any tips and tricks on backing the screws out and re-bedding them? I searched the forum and 5200 adhesive seems to be the bedding material of choice but will that preclude me from ever changing the hiking strap again? Is this one of those operations to just have a pro do?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Sorry - meant outhaul.

Haven't tried to turn the screws yet. Thought I would try to educate myself a little bit before messing around with it.

Thanks.

4000 or 42000 is just like 5200 except that it can be removed one day.
There are removal products out there for either however, which also work for silicone.

Somehow last night I bent one of the loops of the cunningham/vang fairlead plate as well as one of the edges of the plate. The screws seem fine though. I also want to change out my hiking strap. So my question is, any tips and tricks on backing the screws out and re-bedding them? I searched the forum and 5200 adhesive seems to be the bedding material of choice but will that preclude me from ever changing the hiking strap again? Is this one of those operations to just have a pro do?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

5200 is a bit much on a Laser, unless you're talking SS plate for the maststep or cockpit drain. You can use anything from silicone to 4200 and all in between. The caveat is one material will need to be rebedded again sooner than the other. I'll let you guess which.

What you choose however won't matter if you tighten the fitting all the way before the it cures. When you tighten all the way you squish all of the bedding out, making the whole exercise useless. Tighten until the last little bit, probably if the fitting is about the height of a penny from touching the deck is a good rule of thumb. Then wait until the next day and tighten all the way. Clean then repeat process every 2-10 years depending on the material you use.

If you're talking about filling the screw holes so the screws will have something good to "bite" into, I always use WEST epoxy (usually mixed with WEST "High Density" filler).

Back