SCHEIDT moves onwards...

rock steady

Brazil’s eight-time Laser World Champion and double Olympic gold medallist Robert SCHEIDT has won his first ISAF Graded event in the Star, picking up the ISAF Grade C1 South American Championship along with crew Bruno PRADA. After well over a decade of success in the Laser, SCHEIDT has set his targets on a Star campaign for Beijing, and his first victory comes as an ominous warning to his rivals.

Full Story :

http://www.sailing.org/default.asp?PID=17620

I guess this leaves it open for a new gold medalist in the Laser 2008.

some people thought he was just a great Laser sailor. I think many of us always thought he'd be a great sailor overall.

Man, what a sailor!

rock steady said:
I guess this leaves it open for a new gold medalist in the Laser 2008.

So...like....I'm IN!!..?

Skipper Johnson and I will work on getting the entry form filled out.

Scheidt in the Star Bacardi cup. a tough class....

From Scuttlebutt today

FRONT RUNNERS STUMBLE
With some of the front runners faltering on day four, John Dane and
crew
Austin Sperry won Wednesday’s fourth race at the 2006 Bacardi Cup Star
Class Regatta to regain the overall lead heading into the final two
races of the regatta. They had lost the overall lead Tuesday with a
17th
place finish, and hope to be able to drop that race in their quest for
what would be the first Trofeo Bacardi for both sailors. Sailors drop
their worst finish of the regatta, such that the teams’ best five races
will be used to determine the overall winner.

Shifty 18-20 mile-per-hour winds and choppy waters carried the duo to
an
early lead rounding the windward mark. Once out in front, Dane and
Sperry leveraged strong winds again on the left side to build a
commanding 10-boat-length lead at the second mark - a lead they never
surrendered. Erik Lidecis and Marzahl Michael finished second but a
disqualification after a post-race protest dropped them deep into the
standings.

Two-time Olympic Gold Medalist Mark Reynolds of San Diego and crew
Christian Finnsgard, the overall leaders going into the fourth race,
finished 27th Wednesday and fall to fifth overall, while the Portuguese
team of Afonso Domingos and Bernardo Santos, the 2004 Bacardi Cup
champions, finished 9th and climb to second overall. ~ Janet Maizner,
complete story and results: http://tinyurl.com/p2c6r

Standings after four races with no discard)
1. John Dane/Austin Sperry, 22 points
2. Afonso Domingos/Bernardo Santos (POR) 38
3. Mateusz Kusznierewicz/ Dominick Zycki (POL) 41
4. Robert Scheidt/Bruno Prada (BRA) 44
5. Mark Reynolds/Christian Finnsgard, 45
6. Mark Mendelblatt/Mark Strube, 49
7. Iain Murray/Andrew Palfrey (AUS) 50
8. Rick Merriman/Rick Peters, 63
9. Peter Vessella/Darrell Hiatt, 64
10. Andy Beadsworth/ David Carr (GBR) 79

Curmudgeon’s Comment: Read Bacardi reports from 2005 Star North
American
champion George Szabo: http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/blog

MasterMike said:
So...like....I'm IN!!..?

Note: After almost running the Commodore into the bank, sinking my boat and running down the regatta leader last week, I have revised my target to Olympics 2012. Mr Scheidt (unfortunate sounding name) can rest easy until then...

MasterMike said:
So...like....I'm IN!!..?

:) Yeah, guess we can all move up one on our respective ladders/leagues etc!!!

So Scheidt is moving down to a tiny non-competitive fleet where the 100 year old design and expensive equipment needed to make it function elimates all chance of decent numbers of competitors.

What a loss for the fellow. Certainly he is may be disappointed that he has never managed to win a single race at the Easter Laser Regatta but I am surprised he has abandoned the effort to race in real honest competitive sailboats.

What next?? Will Tiger woods take up Putt Putt golf?

Will Baryshnikov take up the Hokey Pokey?

Will Pavarotti take up singing karaoke?

For some reason, old Laser champions seem to find safety for their egos by sailing and abusing the laughable competition in silly contests like the America's Cup, World Match Racing Series or as drivers for rich old men who can't steer their own boats.

On the one hand Robert held out longer than any other Laser world champ.

On the other hand...Everyone who has ever won a single race at the Easter Laser Regatta is snubbing his nose at the guy who never really reached the top and unfortunatly may have quit trying.

gouvernail said:
For some reason, old Laser champions seem to find safety for their egos by sailing and abusing the laughable competition in silly contests like the America's Cup, World Match Racing Series or as drivers for rich old men who can't steer their own boats.

Success in the Laser as RS has attainned would allow him to sail anything in the world. Don't you reckon after winning the Worlds 8 times you would start to think you need a new challange?

Who knows, he might just turn up to your Easter Reggatta this year.

And kick our butts??

Probably. I doubt I could win in a Star.

But of course I don't ever win the regatta at Easter.

Although I have won races and Scheidt hasn't.

Seriously? I find it sort of pathetic that we Laser sailors cannot make it clear to the world that WE are the class in which a world championship is hardest to win.

Lots of has been Laser sailors and never made it to the top Laser sailors have won many many world championships in other fleets.

Champions from other fleets don't jump to Lasers because they know it is way too much work to win the big one in our game.

My point?? The best laser sailor in the world should be properly recognized as the best sailor in the world...Period.

The whiners from the other fleets will attempt to distract us with talk about spinnakers, teamwork, tactics, sail changes, canting keels and how many damn six packs of beer their boats wil carry but...the best sailors are at the top of the Laser fleet.

Our "alumni" have crushed the competition in every other fleet for 35 years.

gouvernail said:
And kick our butts??

Seriously? I find it sort of pathetic that we Laser sailors cannot make it clear to the world that WE are the class in which a world championship is hardest to win.

Lots of has been Laser sailors and never made it to the top Laser sailors have won many many world championships in other fleets.

Champions from other fleets don't jump to Lasers because they know it is way too much work to win the big one in our game.

My point?? The best laser sailor in the world should be properly recognized as the best sailor in the world...Period.

The whiners from the other fleets will attempt to distract us with talk about spinnakers, teamwork, tactics, sail changes, canting keels and how many damn six packs of beer their boats wil carry but...the best sailors are at the top of the Laser fleet.

In answer to your question - Yes. I dont even know you

gouvernail said:
And kick our butts??

Good post Gouvernail - Say, if your up for some fun. Post this on Sailing Anarchy, oh how the sparks will fly!

Back