Sails? What is allowed?

MLP8415

Does your fleet allow only class (North and Hyde) sails for local racing and froistbiting? Or are certain "practice" sail allowed? such as Intensity.

Cedar Point is class only IIRC - current NOR and SI's do not allow for non class approved items..

What about informal get togethers?

I am always sure to purchase class approved beverages and snacks for informal get togethers. They might be more expensive because of the convoluted supply structure and tithing requirements, but at least I know that I am drinking genuine Laser beer and eating genuine Laser pretzels.

Seriously though, I think that the usage of practice sails for racing is sometimes only tolerated because no one wants to be the a**hole to tell fellow sailors they can't play.

I am always sure to purchase class approved beverages and snacks for informal get togethers. They might be more expensive because of the convoluted supply structure and tithing requirements, but at least I know that I am drinking genuine Laser beer and eating genuine Laser pretzels.

Vanguard, don't say you never get marketing ideas from TLF!

I can not for the life of me see why anyone would mind someone using a diffrent sail for practice, neather can I see how it's anyone elses buissiness.
If a person wants to save money by using something diffrent for practice, that's their buissiness, not anyone elses.

In the case of club racing, I guess thats up to the rest of the local fleet. Don't see why people wouldn't often allow it though, the point of clubracing tends to be practice, not to have to burn all your money on new sails.

Having just read on a separate thread that the Intensity sail is faster (under many conditions) I think clubs should stop using it and return Laser sailing to what Laser sailing is all about.

I have been going over this with my production guys. This is their response;
The fact that the Intensity sail is faster than a "race" sail in many conditions is an added bonus.

Ian

I do not think that either sail has an advantage. The great Irony is that the thread that this was taken from was started as a complaint about not being able to set up our sail for the radial. Now the complaint is that it is faster. Well there you have it. The truth is that it is level in performance but not price. It suits the purpose it was made for very well. A practice sail.

I shared the complexity of making the Radial with a firmer finished cloth. An engineer feels that in theory it should be faster in some conditions. That Sailors, including some very high level radial sailors have felt that it was level with the class sail and served the purpose of being a great practice sail also convinces me of this.

I have to believe that with the quantity of sails that we have sold and shipped worldwide in the last year and a half and continue to sell daily. That if they were a real difference it would have surfaced on these very pages.

That reality speaks for itself.

I can not for the life of me see why anyone would mind someone using a diffrent sail for practice, neather can I see how it's anyone elses buissiness.
If a person wants to save money by using something diffrent for practice, that's their buissiness, not anyone elses.

In the case of club racing, I guess thats up to the rest of the local fleet. Don't see why people wouldn't often allow it though, the point of clubracing tends to be practice, not to have to burn all your money on new sails.

I think it does affect others - those who has either purchased the slower but class legal sails and are now spending their time competing on an un-equal basis.

If people want to just use if for sailing around (i.e. not racing) fine, use what they want. However, not everybody can travel around the regattas (e.g. family commitments, limited finance, loads of reasons) and for many club racing is dead serious stuff not just "practice".

I think that those clubs that have allowed people to race using the Intensity sail did so on the understanding it was of the same performance (speed/pointing wise) as the class legal sails. I guess this decision would now need reviewing. If you buy a Laser you buy a strict one design and for many this means being able to compete against others based on using the same gear (results being based on your personal skills). If some are now being allowed to use faster sails then it sort of spoils the game for everybody - at least everybody who got into it for the "one design" aspect.

Ian

I think it does affect others - those who has either purchased the slower but class legal sails and are now spending their time competing on an un-equal basis.

Ian

There is NO evidence or claim by anyone who has sailed any of our sails that there is ANY speed difference. Faster or Slower.

I would like to get back on track. I would like to know if your local fleet or club allows alternate sails to be used in local events? I understand a "one design" rated regatta that requires everyone to be a member of US sailing, the Laser association, and with sail and boat measurements is what makes the Laser the best!

Does your fleet allow only class (North and Hyde) sails for local racing and froistbiting? Or are certain "practice" sail allowed? such as Intensity.

My local group isn't a "fleet" in the ILCYRA sense. In any case, there are a number of people using Intensity sails for the Thursday night racing. I haven't made it to one of the informal weekend regattas, so I don't know if they are allowing non-class-legal sails there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Back