Sails different?

JayBee

I just bought my first sailboat, a late 60's version. The sail that came with it is new, but not a Sunfish sail. I have noticed references to "practice sails". Would someone explain what types of sails are available for the sunfish? What are the differences? Would a beginner be interested in anything other than a "practice sail" if the boat would only be for recreational sailing?

I'm new too, but I'll take a stab at this. There are two types sold by the manufacturer - a recreational sail and a racing sail. The racing sail is slightly larger but they are pretty much the same. Both the recreational and racing sails are class legal (legal for racing), but don't expect too many trophies with a recreational sail.

There is at least one (probably several) company that makes an aftermarket sail for a Sunfish marketed as a practice sail. These cost less but are NOT class legal. You must have a sail supplied by the "builder" in order to race.

For recreational purposes, you can use anything that works. :)

I'm new too, but I'll take a stab at this.

applause-animation.gif

Thank you for the information. Based on that, I think I will just continue using the sail that came with the fish. Out here in West Texas I don't think we will be having any sailboat races so I won't worry about gaining any extra speed. Now if we would stop having these 100+ temperatures maybe I can get in some sailing time without burning up!

Back