Sailor's nipple

Looper

It is summer in Australia which means it is nice and warm.

I had my second warm evening sail. It is so warm you have to wear nothing under your life jacket (oh the secret thrill of nobody knowing that you have nothing on under your life jacket), anyway, I developed an unusual condidtion on the second night. I remember during the jogging craze of the 80's a condition called 'jogger's nipple' well this can only be described as sailor's nipple. It is the friction from the life jacket rubbing the skin off the end of your nipple. It stings and is very uncomfortable and can even bleed eventually.

Fortunately various bits of my boat are held together with gaffer tape. I was able to improvise a solution whilst out on the water. Just tear a couple of pieces off and stick them on your nipples under the jacket. Brilliant! The pain stops.

So, Anybody else experience this and got any good suggestions?

I had got in afterwards and de-rigged and was standing in my shorts having a chat to some carpark spectators. I got the feeling they were smirking slightly but wasn't sure why until I realised after they had gone that I still had two pieces of shiny silver tape stuck over each nipple. So don't forget to peel them off* before wandering round in the car park.

*CAUTION: if you have a hairy chest** (mine is only slightly hairy) then extreme caution is advised in the peeling off process. I found doing it slowly to be less painful than ripping it off in a oner.

**Girls you should be OK

careful about using the word ****** here, that one is uncharted territory, might get you booted

Yeah, it's more common than you'd believe.

In the NZ we skin a possum and line the inside chest of the PFD with the pelt. Fresh ones are best: just enough blood to stick the pelt into the jacket without the need for staples or duck tape. Once dried a firm bond is achieve.

Sheep skin also is a good look for winter, fresh again, to maintain a good lanolin level in the wool.

Sheep skin also is a good look for winter, fresh again, to maintain a good lanolin level in the wool.

It's interesting that you mention that, because I was going to recommend lanolin to relieve the soreness, as long as you aren't allergic to it. It is what the lactation expert recommended when I had my first child. Yes, boys, now don't you regret this topic? Anyway, if it's that great, maybe I'll go for the secret thrill next summer.

Yeah, it's more common than you'd believe.

In the NZ we skin a possum and line the inside chest of the PFD with the pelt. Fresh ones are best: just enough blood to stick the pelt into the jacket without the need for staples or duck tape. Once dried a firm bond is achieve.

Geez Chainsaw, how firmly was your tongue in your cheek when you wrote that????? :p:p:p

Two Heads

It is summer in Australia which means it is nice and warm.

I had my second warm evening sail. It is so warm you have to wear nothing under your life jacket [...]

Try a technical shirt made of one of those fabrics that wicks moisture away from the skin. They are claimed to be cooler than wearing nothing at all -- and they offer pretty good UV screening. I bought a ProWik shirt last summer and love it.

Try a technical shirt made of one of those fabrics that wicks moisture away from the skin. They are claimed to be cooler than wearing nothing at all -- and they offer pretty good UV screening. I bought a ProWik shirt last summer and love it.

Same claim made for Lycra, yacht store Rash vest will fit the bill nicely but many plain ones available for beans off e-bay. Do I wear one - with my body shape - your bloody joking!

Two words: rash guard.

I have long and short sleeve white rash guards that I wear in warm weather. I don't need to wear sunscreen on my arms or shoulders and I find that I feel cooler wearing the rash guards than without (something to do with the fabric helping water and sweat to evaporate better I suppose).

Back