Sailing wrist watch?

Sunray

One of the new threads prompted me to get suggestions on what is THE watch used for sailing today? I suppose a large digital readout and start-seqence timer would be ideal (?). Are these legal for Laser racing?

Thoughts? comments?

as long as it doesnt have a digital compass its legal

casio and citizen make good watches for sailing

I use a CASIO G-SHOCK. :) It's got all the features sailors like us need; countdown timer adjustable from one second to 24 hours; audible beep (though no warning beeps on the minutes like some others), stopwatch, and waterproof. It is EXTREMELY durable and easy to use. Everybody I spoke with who has compared watches recommended the G-Shock, so I got one. I got mine on Ebay cheap: used only a few times and like brand new for 15 bucks! I also use the countdown timer and alarm in my classroom teaching; it helps my students keep pace on assignments and group work in class. The only shortcoming is the small size of the digits on the dispay. With my vision (I haven't yet gotten a pair of Rx polarized sunshades for sailing and I don't risk breaking/losing my glasses while I am out on the water unless it's really calm. I want a G-shock with BIG numbers. :eek:

I also had gotten a MUSTO sailing watch before switching the the G-Shock. It sucks! :( After a few months of normal usage, the MUSTO sailing watch had a software problem and it's no longer working. I got the watch's software reset, but now the sound does not work and the timers/alarms are useless. MUSTO was no help trying to resolve the problem. I no longer buy MUSTO products since I experienced a bad product and poor customer service from Musto. Also, the crystal on the Musto is not very hard and scratches easily. Grrrrrr. (A year later and the G-Shock I have still looks brand new even with regular daily wear and use when I am on/in the water. The only nice things I can say about the MUSTO watch is the size of the digits and it is fairly stylish for an athletic watch. That's all I can say in favor of the Musto. Unless I were given one, I wouldn't waste bucks on a Musto.

Timex is another decent, cheap one if you are wearing it on your wrist.

If you want to mount it on the boom or mast, it's hard to beat the Ronstan model with it's large readout.

Casio G-shock and Ronstan (I'll have to see what the Ronstan is all about, I'm afraid I have not heard of that name)...Thanks for the input guys..

I'm using a Timex Ironman Triathlon watch. It has a countdown timer, that rolls over and start counting down again when it gets to zero. Beeps when it gets to zero. Works for me and my son.

Timex ironman...hmmmm

I did a wee bit o' research after the responses and looked at the Casio site ( very good site, actually)...Saw several that seemed to be what I would need. However, it seemed that the ones that had a countdown timer also had the digital compass ( could I just disable the compass feature??)

I really liked the look of one casio. It was way cheaper than all the rest, and had a larger, easier-to-read display. $29 bucks! Wouldn't you know it, it had no countdown timer. That REALLY is the only feature I would use on it. I have not worn a watch in over 15 years--just haven't--I wonder if there is actually a small device that is JUST a synchronising countdown timer...made specifically for sailors, that has no funky featurama.

Any thoughts on this last statement accepted gladly.....

Hey, I just want to second the opinion on the Musto Watch. Mine lasted about four months before crapping out. Service was a nightmare. I couldn't event start the process!

Did some more searching and talked with a guy who is developing Oceanracing.com. He is selling a swiss-made analogue thing (looks great) specially made for starts, e.t.c. but at $500 a pop it is too much for me. Plus it is metal-banded....ANYWAY, I expressed interest to see if his company has any digital start-sequence countdown, rubber strap thing, and, indeed he is coming out with a self-designed watch just made for me!!!!
He is partnering with a pro Etchells racer in Hong Kong in this design. We exchanged e-mails and he will let me know of the ship date and more info. He says it is cheaper than the other one.

I also saw the Ronstan Clear-start. For $95 bucks it is just a start-sequence device and can be configured this way and that. I dont wear a watch anyway so who cares? It seems all the real cool-looking sailing watches have that 'illegal' digital compass..

The search continues.....

Hi,
I also looked around a bit - finally bought a Casio W-753 and it works for fine me. Ok in price also.
It has a "yacht-timer" - during countdown it beeps every minute plus 30sec left. The most important is the beeping each second during the final 10 seconds ending with longer tone on start/zero.
Its easy to vary between 10 or 5 min starts. If you miss the 10 minute signal/flag you can easy change and wait for the 5 minute. You can set any count down time if needed.

There are other than Casio with reasonable prices too, but look for those models with yacht-, sail- or surf-timer (called different sometimes), the regular countdown timer function found in most other models is useless - no progress beeps at all.

If the price isnt a problem, go for a Suunto model (without compass/gps) - my personal favourite sail watch.

Regards
Magnus

Here's one place I have used in the past - always have decent prices on the Timex and Casio countdown watches...
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId=251&catalogId=40000000226&storeId=226

A couple of things I'd consider for wrist worn watches:
1. Controls for starting/stopping/reset of the countdown - make sure they can't accidentily be pushed by flexing of the wrist/hand - The Ironman for example has the controls on the face, not the side of the watch and I've never had a problem.

2. Make sure the strap will still hold the watch even if one of the pins breaks. The normal plastic strap doesn't do that - you break a pin and the watch falls off. The Ironman with the fastwrap band will still keep the watch on even if one pin breaks. In addition it uses a elastic so even if you catch the watch on something, there's some "give" before the pin breaks.

As far as the beeps go during the countdown: IMHO, I don't find them nec. In heavy air you can't hear them. I end up doing a mental conversion from a beep to a number, so if you glance at your watch between 20 and 10 seconds, you can do a decent verbal countdown in your head or out loud with or without beeps.

For us "old guys" you can't beat the Ronstan Clear Start. Big buttons, big numbers, sync function if you miss the signal by a couple seconds.

Pricey (around $100) but good.

------------
Mike Schmidt / 121384

It has a "yacht-timer" - during countdown it beeps every minute plus 30sec left. The most important is the beeping each second during the final 10 seconds ending with longer tone on start/zero.
Its easy to vary between 10 or 5 min starts. If you miss the 10 minute signal/flag you can easy change and wait for the 5 minute. You can set any count down time if needed.

Hey,this seems like the thing I am looking for. A realistic timer with all kinds of warning bleeps...I will look for that and check it out. Thanks

The Casio W-753 sounds like a good one. I'll have to check it out.

The Ronstan clear start actually will probably win me over, as it is just what I am looking for. I may break down and decide to get a watch...don't know yet if I want to have a seperate one, or an 'all-inclusive-watch-countdown-timer 'thing.

The Gill racing watch looks cool, but it has a 'digital-over -analogue' look...kind of cluttered..

Ronstan looks like the 'clear' winner so far....

I buy cheap watches because sooner or later, they all end up at the bottom of Biscayne Bay. My last $9 Walmart special lasted over a year but decided to fall off yesterday on the way out to the start. Sucks to be at Miami OCR with no watch; this caused several extreme 'shot out the back' incidents at the starts. What 49208 said about finding one with buttons that you don't accidentally hit while manouvering around the start is important. It's no fun to look down and realize the seconds are no longer counting down.

See ya in February?

M the Fullrig momma and Radial wannabee

Sunray said:
The Gill racing watch looks cool, but it has a 'digital-over -analogue' look...kind of cluttered..
QUOTE]

I've been using one for a couple of years now, and when in racing mode all you see is the digital timer. But to the contrary, you can't tell the time of day until the digital display has been turned off (no big deal).

I did have to replace the analog battery after around a year. The digital battery is still going (insert pink drum toting rabbit here).

Here my two cent's on the watches,
I've been wearing a Casio "G" shock on my wrist for well over fifteen years now. My occupation has been industrial maintenance in large food processing plants (murder on cheap watches). I also snorkle and scuba dive a bit besides the sailing (going on my 3rd year) and fishing doing both in fresh and salt water.
The "G" shocks's have held up without even a battery change or failure. I've lost two of them because of removing them off of my arm and forgeting them at a community hand washing sink.
The things I really like about the "G" is they have both a count down timer and stop watch function. so if I miss the 5 minute gun, I switch to stop watch mode and I can snag the 4 min gun or one min gun if my head is really up my *&^ with the stop watch. It's been very user friendly and salt water has had absolutley no effect on the pins or the watch, I've never broken a pin or had the strap come loose. I know from my snorkling experience this is not the case with the Timex Iron man watches as I have recovered several off of the bottom and all of them experienced pin failure either at the watch or buckle. Most of the time the pin is still in them and the watch was still running on the bottom.
Only drawback I have is the buttons are kinda small with my fat fingers. Ive never had an accidental hit of them. I've enclosed a scan of my watch, anything that was off the scanner glass is slightly out of focus and it's hard to see the buttons.

Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Attachments

• Casio 001 (2).jpg
    Casio 001 (2).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 61
Well, I hate to admit it, but over the last year I have had to pull everything away from my face to focus on whatever it is I am trying to look at. A basic 'Walmart-special' would work (or a G-shock ), but I am afraid that I would prefer a larger readout, so I can 'suss' it out in a glance without having to strain.....

Casio Sea pathfinder is ideal. It allows you to set up the countdown function for both the 4 minute gun, and the 5 minute gun. This is very handy when you miss the 5 minute gun. You can also change these settings if your club uses different start procedures. There’s progress beeps and you can decide if you want to count elapsed time after the start or repeat the starting sequence (these are handy if you’re race officer for fleet or match racing.)

There’s also a tide graph which is cool – but not accurate enough for racing; you still have to check the tide times before you hit the water. It’s super tough as per all of the other comments on here about the Casio G. There’s a couple of different options, the base one is quite affordable, but make sure you don’t get the one with the electronic compass if you want to go and do big regattas as they’re not legal.

Back