Sailing Vacation Ideas?

bikspk

I just want to load up my boat and equipment and head south. Any recommendation for a low impact place to go and sail my laser for three or four days in Florida (easy access to boat launching, trailer parking, sleeping) would be welcome.

It's just too damn cold here to go sailing.

Thanks

hey,
i sail at the martin county sailing center which is a great place on the east coast an hour north of palm beach. it has easy access to the water and is near a couple hotels check out the website.
www.usscmc.org

A nice sailing vacation would be to camp at Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys-there's launching in the park and you're sailing on that warm beautiful turquoise water. 45 miles south is Key West. The main problem is that you have to reserve your campsite about a year in advance because of all the snowbirds that come down in the winter!

bikspk said:
I just want to load up my boat and equipment and head south. Any recommendation for a low impact place to go and sail my laser for three or four days in Florida (easy access to boat launching, trailer parking, sleeping) would be welcome.

It's just too damn cold here to go sailing.

Thanks

Florida is full of decent ramps with public parks attached, so that part shouldn't be much trouble.

I plan to sail out of Sarasota at a place called New Pass. Check the map for Ken Thompson Parkway. There's a ramp for boat launching, a parking lot and a city park with restroom. It's right next to the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. The area is in the intracoastal waterway and so is protected from too much wind and waves.

You'll likely still need a wetsuit, (at least I do with water in low 60's or even 50's) even in the Keys, unless you never capsize, lol. But to be comfortable you'll have to sail wet cause the air will be in the 70's or 80's. Ah....

I have trouble finding places to sleep because I travel with my dog. I've found a fantastic place, Coquinas on the Beach, but they are very expensive during the season, $169 a night. As the name implies, it is right on the beach and if you asked nicely, they'd probably let you launch right from their beach.

I think I'll try camping this winter but haven't figured out where I'll be yet. Hope it's not all booked up. Anybody know of cheaper motels in Sarasota area that take dogs?

Janet

I'm investigating all of the ideas. I'm not as concerned with water temp and the like since I'm used to sailing in Deep Creek, MD which doesn't ever get too warm in the summer.

Current water temps on the Atlantic Coast of florida are in the low 70's right now and I'll keep an eye on them. The bay temperatures are a bit colder but not too bad. I'll try to be prepared either way.

I plan on going south until it's warm anyway. One you make the drive from West Virginia you might as well go the extra few miles eh?

Thanks for all of the ideas - I'm checking all of the possibilities out.

bikspk said:

Thanks

Oh, yeah, take your own garden hose to rinse the salt water off your boat. They have spigots at the parks, but you have to bring your own hose.

Also, Days Inn seems to be having some kind of (internet?) sale on right now. $50 rooms in Florida in season. Not bad. Turns out ALL the Florida state parks take reservations up to a year in advance, so I'll not be camping this January.

Janet

We're planning an escape to FL in early March, towing a Trailex with one Laser, one Zuma and three sailboards. Woo-woo! We're planning on staying for a week or so at Fort DeSoto Park on Tampa Bay and sailing off the beach. It looks like a blast. Anybody sailed from there before? :cool:

capt_capsize said:
We're planning an escape to FL in early March, towing a Trailex with one Laser, one Zuma and three sailboards. Woo-woo! We're planning on staying for a week or so at Fort DeSoto Park on Tampa Bay and sailing off the beach. It looks like a blast. Anybody sailed from there before? :cool:

No, but years ago I swam at the beach, which I recall was a little rocky. It might have changed in character since then with storms and all. It's a nice area. Hope you have reservations for camping or can get them by then.

Janet

We've got our camping reservations already. In fact, the county's website even has pictures of the individual sites. Thanks for the tip about the possibly rocky launching areas. That's par for the course up here in Maine.

PS....I'd like to second Michelle's suggestion for Bahia Honda State Park down in the Keys. I was there for snorkeling and sea kayaking a couple years ago. It was sunny, hot and was just plain wonderful. I'd love to Laser off that beach.

Back