Sailing speed approximations

Ian

Hi,

I am new to this site and to sailing, but as part of a university engineering project i am doing some basic research on Laser sailing. I know the following questions do not have strict answers by any stretch of the imagination... all i am looking for are educated estimates to the nearest knot:

1. On an average day in average wind (say 10 knots) what sort of top speed might you reach on a Laser?

2. At what speed does a laser cease to be predominantly a displacement craft, and become a planing craft?

I also need to find out these figures for the International moth (although i imagine with a hull like that it doesn't ever plane) and Topper's ISO if anybody has an idea of those figures?

Any reply... even to tell me i'm barking up the wrong tree would be very gratefully recieved,

Ian

p.s.... after ten years of no sailing... i have recently woken up to the joys of the sport again... its so much fun!

I have seen a moth doing 18.8 knots on hydrofoils recorded on a gps but because the boats keep developing and all the boats are different i wouldn't know the average speed of one

Back