Sailing in the rain?

tblaser2222

Well I am wondering about sailing in the rain. Does it work? We have 20Kmh winds and 10-20mm of rain today for example. I am new to this so any help would be great.

Of course you can sail in the rain. However, I would have two questions. First, are you dressed in adequate gear to stay warm? You WILL get wet. Second, is there any lightning? Better stay ashore in that case.

of course it works, I would suggest some rain gear and maybe some clear eye protection, some of the best conditions are in the rain

You want to heel the boat a bit more so that the downward force exerted by the rain can be harnessed by the angled plane of the sail and turned into forward motion.

This is even more effective in a very hard rain.

in 16C air temp a wetsuit would be comfortable, but you could also just wear an insulating layer or 2 under your rain gear/smock ect just so you don't get cold out there.

Tacks are unusually sobering in the rain. At least in a Highlander, I've never sailed the Laser in the rain. The Highlander has a deep belly, and it collects water very effectively. So when you tack, it unloads. Usually directly over you.

But I've found sailing in the rain to be a ball.

Where I grew up, if we didn't go sailing in the rain, we would never have gone sailing at all.

I do draw the line at sailing in falling snow however. I remember one winter series race on The Solent (not lasers - big boats) during a rare snowfall, thinking that there must be more pleasant ways to spend a winter weekend.

Neither is much of a problem here in NorCal.

Back