sailing heros

Teeftie

I was just wondering who you looked up to in sailing when you were growing up?
i know for me being 14 i look up to a lot of people but my most admired people would have to be andrew childs who proves to all of us around here that anything can happin if you train hard, and also being a radial guy i really look up to steve cockerill. the list goes on and on, but who are the top sailors you your guy's lists?

Ed Baird, cause he crushed me and a buddy when I was 14, back in 84' on Lake Norman. He was tacking upwind in 20 knots like a mad man. Of course I was clueless.
Gary Jobson because he is personable and a great sailor,
Dennis Baby! Gotta pull for the man!

Joshua Slocum

Sir Francis Chinchester
i know they werent small boat sailors and they certainly didnt sail lasers but they should be remembered as men of great sailing skill and determination.
***the greats :cool:

i am still growing up, so i would have to say steve cockerill, ben ainslie and jon emmett! ooooooo and all the other sailors i have learnt from!

Hi,
I agree full to Geoff.
Paul Elvstroem is the best dinghy-professional I know.

Among this Idol, for me Sir Peter Blake (1948 - 2001) from NZL was the best professional-sailor on big boats (http://www.americaone.org/news/ac-news/blake.html).

Pesonally I´m inspirated by Dr. Wolfgang Hunger (current 505 WC; I ´ve already sailed in the beginnig of the 70´ies in the Opti against him) and Alexander Hagen (goes to Athens in the Star for Germany), who was also a former Laser-pro (and Laser-pro coach) in the early 80´ies. Both are sailing idols from Germany.

Best current female sailing hero, in my opinion: Ellen MacArthur

bye-bye
LooserLu

Michael Blackburn, John Bertrand, Nick Skulander and Tom Slingsby (7th in recent laser worlds)

Mostly Tom and Nick because they come from my club and i see them beat our whole fleet by a leg every week (except Nick Skulander who was top 20 in radial worlds but didnt go to Turkey)

That's awsome.. having like "pro sailor's" @ your club... I'm like the only competitive laser in my region... her I'm the one winning by a leg...I did 6 club race & got 6 bullets .. it"s getting kinda boring but whatever it's a good training... I so wish I was in australia argh..

Hi Louis-Philippe,
don´t forget about sailing in Europe, for example France has also very competitive fleeds and in the late summer (for example) it is very nice at the sea mediterane and because you are from Montreal, I think, you will communicate perfect in French language.
Here is a link to the french laserclass: http://www.francelaser.org/

bye-bye + A bientot
votre "Louis le perdant" (= LooserLu)

well i grew up here in newport, but only got into sailing 5 years ago. The laser fleet here are all professional; while I have stumbled on opportunities to crew on a boat with a pro a couple of times, it would be nice if there was a laser fleet of amateur, radial, or women sailors around. How do you get the pro designation anyway?

Paige Railey. She's such as awesome laser sailor from Florida. Radial girls are awesome. I still look forward to sailing against her in the future.

Sailing hero of the nearer past:
Mark Mendelblatt,
2nd WC Laser Standard 2004 and just now:
finaly he beated at Match-Race on Lake St. Moritz (SUI) all big the America´s-cuper-pro´s (Team Allinghi etc.) with his crew and won the 10.000 Euro prize :) :) ...Although he is only in vacations....;) (Just read this at our German sailing magazine "yacht.de".)
Cheers
LooserLu

i have been sailing with a bunch of world class laser sailors lately, Andrew Childs and Trevor Hamilton mostly and there soo awesome, there always willing to help you out they are always trying to give back to the sailing comunity.

I have to mention Katie Thompson as a really wickid radial and everything else sailor, I used to look up to her last year cause i thought it was cool that a girl was always at the regattas kicking ass and now she coachs me so it shows how small the sailing comunity really is.

My female hero at the moment is Krystal Weir, I used to race against her & she is/was a good compitor and friend, even though we haven't seen each other in ages.
My male hero's have to be Garreth (?) Leaumont, Ray Cole & Roger Wallis, Garreth, I have known for only a few years, but he is an awesome sailor, Ray is a good friend of mine, who I have known for a while now, he is a Naval Architect & I learnt a ton when I was sailing with him, Roger Wallis is one of my family friends, he built his own boat when he was in high school, and is currently running a charter business down Cape Horn area.

I have also got a spot for Marcus Hamilton, who I brought my old boat off, he helped me greatly in getting to the top of the fleet.
rob

LooserLu said:
Hi,
I agree full to Geoff.
Paul Elvstroem is the best dinghy-professional I know.

Among this Idol, for me Sir Peter Blake (1948 - 2001) from NZL was the best professional-sailor on big boats (http://www.americaone.org/news/ac-news/blake.html).

Pesonally I´m inspirated by Dr. Wolfgang Hunger (current 505 WC; I ´ve already sailed in the beginnig of the 70´ies in the Opti against him) and Alexander Hagen (goes to Athens in the Star for Germany), who was also a former Laser-pro (and Laser-pro coach) in the early 80´ies. Both are sailing idols from Germany.

Best current female sailing hero, in my opinion: Ellen MacArthur

bye-bye
LooserLu

Hi,
here is some thing new about Ellen MacArthur:
This week, Ellen Mac Arthur got the Award “European Hero 2004” from the Time Magazine (European section). She gets this award in the section “inspiration”, because she encourages others to support for their targets. The Jury praises her willpower and her character.

F.e.: She wrote 2500 letters to find sponsors for her participation at the “Vendeé Globe 2001”, the strongest single-handed-sailing-race of the world (She there got the 2nd place overall). With the same engagement she stand up for kids that have cancer and goes sailing with them four times a year. Mac Arthur (now age 28) started sailing in age 8. In age 18 she sailed alone round Great-Britain-Island and in age 22, she crossed the Atlantic alone. Her motto is "You just have to get on with it". Not a bad motto also for us Laserites I think.
http://www.laserforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=77&stc=1

Cheers
LooserLu

Attachments

• timemagazi416e60fa8da74.jpg
    timemagazi416e60fa8da74.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 62
Never did have any sailing heros, other than the Dennis Connors, Ted Turners most sailors are not a household name.

I must say that I do admire a fellow club member Heinz Gebauer, who in his CV has many significant world results. What is even more admirable is that at 72 he is still very fast, wins most of the club races and is very competitive...wish I could be as fast let alone still sailing and winning in my 70's, he is an inspiration to everyone

Ellen MacArthur & tom slingsby ellen because she has the guts to sail giant boat by her self around the world & tom because he has just spent a weekend at the club training all our junior laser sailors for free to us

Back