Sailing Coaches/Instructors

will162878

Do any of you US sailors on the forum teach/coach sailors of any kind? I'd be interested to hear if you do to compare how your coaching is setup/run etc.

Hi, Will,

I have some limited experience. About 20 indivudual students over the years, all beginning to mid-fleet Laserites, plus a few seasoned J-24 and J-22 skippers on their way to the Rolex Girlies.

Mostly
- dockside,
- one-boat (2-person),
- one boat plus chase boat,
- boat-on-boat , and
- live racing
OTW Laser coaching, in that sequence.

OTW work was supported by video and digital photography feedback, "classroom" seminars, fitness and lifestyle training, role playing, mental skills development, and some handouts based on drLaser content.

I don't accept money for teaching Lasering so these were all free courses. But they were all formal (read: I scream and yell when necessary.)

For a second hull, I used our fleet hull if the student did not own a Laser. I used our fleet Whaler or the R.I.B. of a friendly neighboring sailing club, plus their conference room and A.V. facilities (in return for some free "Race Management" and "Regatta Organization" seminars/workshops for the club or in return for running some of their fleet races).

I've also done some volunteer teaching for a local non-profit outfit specializing in city youth at risk, but that was on huge "yachts".

What do you need to know specifically?

Shevy

Does the US have a programme to:

a) "grab" kids and get them into sailing?
b) Develop skills.

Is US race training:

a) National authority organised/administered.
b) A responsibility for clubs and provate coaches.
c) A responsilbilty for each class.
d) School/College organised (youth)
??

Hi, Will,

Go to:
http://www.USsailing.org

Check out
- "Getting Started"
- "Education", and
- "Youth".

Many sailing clubs, community sailing programs, camps, colleges and high schools offer some form of "race training", either to their own "members" or to the general public, the latter in the form of open clinics.

Classes are generally not involved with coaching/training at the grass roots level, and there are no national "grab the kids" type of campaigns.

In all cases, it's all "voluntary": No "responsibilities" (including accreditation or certification by, or membership in, US SAILING) are assigned by the Federal or local governments.

US SAILING serves mostly an advisory role. For training of coaches and instructors, there are local "Training Coordinators" and a US "Training Committee" which oversees:
* developing and implementing courses designed to train instructors of sailing;
* maintaining the standards of sail training; and
* producing training materials.

US SAILING also has a "Sailing Counselor Program", designed to prepare camp counselors and staff from community sailing and scouting programs to supervise small boat recreational sailing activities.

For youth, there is a special "Youth Advisory Board" chaired by James Appel (Vanguard is everywhere).

Among the noteworthy organized events are the US SAILING's
- U.S. Junior Sailing Championships,
- U.S. Junior Women's Championship,
- U.S. Youth Sailing Championship, and
- Junior Olympic Sailing Program.

The latter is a nationwide series of sailing regattas for youth ages 8 to 21. Each event in this family of regattas is hosted by a different club or organization, but all events share a common goal: to encourage young sailors to enjoy sailing and to develop their skill. Events mix Olympic-style competition with elements of learning and fun for all levels -- from beginning racers to those with Olympic aspirations.

TLF Owner Brad Green (a participant in the Sunfish class in 2000) can give you more detailed info on the Junior Olympics.

Shevy

Interesting to read that. I am an RYA Qualified Instructor so I can teach people to sail until they are "proficient". I then 'hand' them toi advanced instructors or race coaches (i hope to get my race instructor endorsement soon). The RYA have a structured programme to take kids from me to the Olympic teams, via regional squads and national squads. Sailing schools and clubs can apply for RYA "accredidation" to teach RYA courses with RYA instructors. Most coaches are class based, at least at the higher levels.

Back