Sailfish

Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender
Hi,
New member, long-time Sunfish lover. I'm considering purchasing an old Sailfish but haven't found too much about them in searching on this site. I know they're not seen around much anymore, are slightly smaller and share a similar rigging to Sunfish. I know the Sailfish doesn't have a cockpit.
Any thoughts on pros or cons to this boat over the Sunfish? Any real Sailfish fans out there??
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hi Monica,

I have a Sunfish and a Sailfish and like them both, but they are two different animals.

The Sailfish is a much wetter boat since it does not have a splash rail and it rides lower in the water. It is definitely a warm water boat. It can also be uncomfortable since there is no good place to put your legs and no storage area. On the other hand it is a very exciting boat since it is almost a part of the water. The Sailfish capsizes more easily than a Sunfish, but it is also easier to right.

Is the Sailfish made of wood or fiberglass? If it is made out of wood, then there were two models: a "shorty" version that is about 11' long and the "Super" version that is the same length as the Sunfish.

The Sunfish is heavier (by about 30 lbs.), but is much more comfortable and stable. The newer models also have a small storage compartment that is very handy. If you are interested in racing, there are lots of Sunfish around, but very few Sailfish. Obviously, more people liked the Sunfish otherwise the Sailfish would still be in production.

If I were only going to own one boat I would go with the Sunfish. It is more versatile and holds its resale value. The Sailfish is a very specialized boat and is not for everyone.

Hope this helps. Where is the Sailfish located and what is the asking price?

Judkei
Reno, NV

Thanks for your response. I hesitated and lost out on the sailfish- sold quickly for just $300. It was in good condition-fiberglass. The brightwork needed refininishing, but the hull was solid and light.
Oh well. I've got my Sunfish and another one from the early 70's that I'm cleaning up for resale in the spring. It's too easy to start collecting boats, but when I see a bargain I hate to pass it up!

I appreciate your information on the Sailfish. Sounds like it wouldn't be the ideal boat for me or for most, but just the fact that there are so few left makes it desireable. Happy sailing!

Back