Sail used by top guys?

rod_smith

Hi all

Here in Sydney there are 2 sails avail, one is North, one Pryde. Does anyone have knowledge on which is preferred by the top guys? Or are they deemed equivalent in performance?

Here the North one is $150 cheaper.

Rod

Re: Sail

I'm from NSW, but a noob to Lasers tho. What I've heard [when I asked the same question and did a Google search etc] was that the North sail version is just a 'budget' version. Same material etc etc as the other one. I think [and I'm sure welcome to hear from others who know much better that I!] that the choice is yours. Enjoy.

There are only two class approved sails - The one made by North and the one made by Hyde. The class approved sails will have a red button below the Laser class label at the tack.

The two sails are about as identical as they can get, but like any two different items, people will have their own opinions about which is better in specific conditions.

As far as cost, they both are priced about the same, it all depends on which sailmaker your class builder has the best deal with. For example in the US, the North is about $80 less because Vanguard has a better deal with North. See this thread for more info http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1214

There are some less expensive sails, great for practice, but they are not class approved (ie you can't race with them in major regattas and may not be able to race with them in low level regattas depending on the fleet)

The Hyde sails have more resin so are stiffer. They are better in the heavy air as they hold their shape better. I have heard that some bring a brand new North and Hyde, Hyde for heavy air and North for light stuff. Your Hyde will remain in better condition for a longer period of time.

Any thoughts on the intesity laser sails? Are they worth it for practice, and, does anyone know fleets that allow them to be used in "local" races?
Thanks

of course intensity sails are worth it they are 200$ and are a good substitute for a racing one which i'm sure you don't want to do, as far as racing with them goes, most local small (local) races would let you race but it's best to ask first.

C.S.

May I once again suggest to search the forums. ALL of the above has recently been discussed extensively. Suggested Words for the Search:
INTENSITY SAILS
NORTH SAILS
HYDE SAILS
You will find some different opinions about all these sails. Many people seem to think that Hyde and North are very similar nowadays.
Georg

Back