Sail to School?

ybj8922

Hi,
I posted this earlier in the "sail talk" forum, but it might be better fit for here. I am new to sailing with a little experience years back, but planning on taking classes this summer. If all goes well I am looking into purchasing a Sunfish from a friend. Although this is a little forward-thinking, I recently had the idea that it would be awesome to sail to school (as I would be saving gas and avoiding traffic), but I am curious to know if this would actually be feasible to do on a regular basis. I live about a block from a marina (Marina Del Rey) and go to school ~11 nautical miles away in Malibu. So the questions I have are:

1) With favorable winds, about how long would this take in a Sunfish?
2) Would it be feasible to unload and load onto a trailer each day or would a slip be necessary?
3) Is it possible (and legal) to tie a small boat, like a Sunfish, to a pier for a few hours at a time, or is there a better way to dock at my destination?
4) Any other advice/concerns from anyone who knows the area or trip well or who has attempted a similar venture, i.e., commuting with a sailboat?

This may be entirely impossible but in the case that it is not, it would be incredible! Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like it would be fun, but it's a bit ambitious. I did a 7 mile trip on a Sunfish, once, 25 years ago. I've never tried it again. Between tides and currents, it took me about 5 hours, and it was exhausting.

Really? I mean I didn't expect it to be a quick sail but neither is the drive, as it easily takes upwards of an hour by car depending on traffic, and the thought was that a sailboat would be so much more relaxing; however, your experience suggests otherwise! Would you suggest another vessel for this sort of thing? Have Sunfish improved in the last 25 years? Thanks for your comment.

Just looked at the map - its too long of a trip over open waters for a regular commute. I do a similar sunfish adventure trek from Palmetto Bay FL to Key Biscayne that is about 8mi. ea way - its a whole day affair: breakfast, provision, trailer to launch, rig- all about 3/4 to 1hr. then set sail, get to sandbar 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hrs later, hang around 1 - 1-1/2 hrs, eat a sandwich, sail home, get there 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours later, derig, mount to trailer, drive home, wash boat/sail - that's another hour. Then take a short nap, eat dinner. I would suggest your trip would be most quickly made on a 25' open fisherman with a 150hp outboard if you want to save time - as for saving fuel, not-so-much.

Thanks for the insight -- that helps a lot. I guess my best bet would be to get a motocycle... but I want a sailboat!!!

So I've heard -- I think I was looking for a practical excuse to get it, but I just need to face the facts and get it anyway! Haha thanks again for your help.

Back