Sail ties, which diameter, what type of line

Repete

Sunfish1909
I am upgrading from rings to sail ties. I have searched the posts and found several diameters and types of low stretch lines used. I also found that an 11" sail tie and a square knot will hold with a gap for slippage. I have found Opti ties of Vectran Excel Marlow like 3mm and 1/12" polyester line used for Hobie battens

What have the majority of sailors used?

1. Line type
  2. Length
  3. Knot

Thank you.

I purchased my sunfish last spring and a few of the plastic clips were gone. I replaced those clips with 1/16" (1.2mm) Excel Vectran.
Sorry, didn't measure the length, just cut a piece that looked about right, tied a reef knot (same thing as a square knot) and trimmed off the excess.
I used 1/8"(3mm) Excel Vectran for the tack, clew and head. Used a bowline to secure the line to the sail grommet, then two round turns followed by a few half hitches on the other end.

This link was given to me on another forum. My local marina has "Hobie" spools of line and offers a 1/12" braided line, polypropelene, used to tie the battens on that rig. I am still looking for the "vectran" line, perhaps Vanguard is the way to get this line.

You can see how the "Pro" boat is being set up from the factory on page nine of the guide:

http://tinyurl.com/2adjga
( 7 MB PDF file )

If you can't find it from a local boating center, I recommend you look into where I got mine. I got the Excel Vectran line I used online from Annapolis Performance Sailing.
APS part number MREXV116 for the 1/16" line. MREXV118 for the 1/8" line. They sell it by the foot. Shipped it out the same day I ordered it too.

Offramp, many thanks. I keep forgetting :eek: about the banner at the top of forum page, they sponsor this site......the banner does say "everything...."
I am using the ties to not have to "unclip" at the season's end. I do not race, but would like the option to be able to take the sail from the spars easier. So far thirty eleven inch sail ties is cheaper than a dealer bag of clips.

I will tie the ties to keep the same distance from spar to sail as a clip.

Here's a trick I saw someone do and it works great. I use 2mm spectra. Tie a square knot around the spar and through the grommet so it's just "snug". Then pull on the loop part of the line to tighten your knot with pliers. You get just the right distance from the spar and they are all the same.

Why is it recommended to roll the sails up by themselves and not around the spars? Is it okay to roll around the spars for storage during sailing season? Also, I bought a bag from APS but I get water in it. Is it supposed to draw water in it or is it coming through the zipper only? Any advice?

Why is it recommended to roll the sails up by themselves and not around the spars? Is it okay to roll around the spars for storage during sailing season? Also, I bought a bag from APS but I get water in it. Is it supposed to draw water in it or is it coming through the zipper only? Any advice?
I have followed the advice from members here to roll your sail up against "pool pasta" (aka a "pool noodle") and not around the spars. Rolling around the spars greatly increases the chances of "snake bite" or small puntures from sharp edges or rubbing from the pulleys, rivets, the gooseneck, etc.
I personally find the centerpoint of the sail, while on the spars, that allows the spars ends to touch evenly and place the "noodle" centered there to begin the roll up. I also make sure my window in facing up so in will be rolled into the roll as it finishes. The only thing to remember when raising the sail is to catch the noodle as it drops out of the roll up. I have stored the noodle in my SF cubbie on most occasions.

As for your sail bag, your bag should not "draw in" any water. If you have to take down your sail wet, you will need to set it out in a day or two (or indoors) to fully dry out with your sail bag as well. I have only a draw string at one end. My bag is water resistant but not waterproof. I dry both my sail and bag (inside out) quite often after a sail day and store them in the garage during the sail season. Also, your lines should be dried out just the same before storage too.

Back