Sail set Question

mmadge

Quite often when going upwind in 10-14 knts of wind my lower leeward telltale will stall while my upper ones are still streaming nice.
What adjustment can I make so my upper and lower telltales are breaking at the same time?

Not having any particulars about where you have placed your telltales, how old the sail is, and what your trim settings are makes it tricky to comment. That said start by considering that the sail's luff should face directly into the wind so all the telltales are streaming aft consistently. It sounds like the bottom of the sail is over trimmed. You could play with the cunningham adjustment to try to bring more draft forward. Also check your outhaul setting which for a standard should be 4-5 inches off the boom (measured just forward of the boom cleat). OR you could just remove that persnickety telltale!

Take a look at rooster sailing's telltale placement. This is what I use - it works well. http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/articles/telltales.pdf

play with the outhaul first, ideally you want the leeward telltales to always be flying

outhaul might do it, it also depends on how old the sail is, the wind is also 3 dimensional, so depending on the type of breeze, the wind can hit the sail differently at different points on the sail, this is more prevalent on big boats like 40ft sailboats with huge sails

if the top is streaming, and the lower isn't:
- pinch up so the lower is streaming. Steer off the lower one.
- use mainsheet tension to pull the leech tight and get the top streaming. Pull the vang tighter to hold that shape, so that the sail will remain in shape when you ease sheet to de-power.

Back