Sail number

Doug Snell

Doug Snell
I will be buying a new North racing sail from the local dealer as part of a racing package. I will be joining the class also. :) Do I get the sail number from the class and give it to the dealer and North will add it to sail or does dealer do that when sail comes to him. :confused: Sorry I am new here. Hobie put my number on for my Class sail and sailmaker for my custom squaretop. Just need to know what to do? :confused:

Doug and (Junior sailor) Ashleigh Snell

Unlike most other classes, the number is 'personalized'. That is, it is not related to your Sunfish hull number. The class office will send you two sets of numbers (European style) with instructions on how to apply them according to the class rules. It's not difficult, but it will take about one hour to do it carefully (and you will need space to spread the sail).

Ok. Thansk guys. Can't wait to get in together. We has a VERY competive class here in Houston area. Any mmber around here that want to help a newbie learn the boat?

Doug
281-326-2702

Sunfish Sail Rules

Assignment. The NSCA shall assign to each member of the Class a unique sail number which shall be displayed on each side of the sail. This requirement shall be strictly enforced at all World Championship qualifying regattas beginning with new sails put into use after 1/1/96.
Size and Shape. The numbers must be easy to read, rounded in shape and of the following dimensions: Height: 10± 1/2”, (254± 13mm), Width: 7± 1/2” (178± 13mm), and Thickness: 1 3/4± 1/4” (45± 6mm)

Color. For white sails, numbers shall be dark and dense, preferably black. White numbers shall be used on dark sails. All digits on a sail must be the same color.
Placement. Placement shall be as shown on the Measurement Diagram for the sail. Sail numbers shall be placed parallel to and 1 ± ¼ inches (25 ± 6mm) from the center of the seam just below the Sunfish emblem, centered under the emblem, with the number on the starboard side placed above the seam and the number on the port side placed below the seam. Space between adjoining numbers shall be 2± ¼ inches (51 ± 6mm).
Effectivity. The requirements for size, shape, color and placement shall be strictly enforced at all World Championship qualifying regattas beginning with new sails put into use after 1/1/99.

Tip: If you place a strip of 3/4" masking tape along the top and bottom of the seam, that gives you the 1" from the center of the seam and makes a nice even line to place the numbers on. A sheet of paper makes a nice square to line the numbers up. Start with the middle number and work your way out.

BTW the Sunfish class is the only class of sailboat that registers the sailer and not the boat.
Attempts to change it draw hugh roars from folks that have low numbers and are afraid of losing them.

Of course, now with so many manufacturers, the 0-300,000 continuity is long gone, so hull numbers aren't necessarily single identifiers. ARRGH!

That said, welcome new sailor! Keep your questions coming.

Scott said:
Tip: If you place a strip of 3/4" masking tape along the top and bottom of the seam, that gives you the 1" from the center of the seam and makes a nice even line to place the numbers on. A sheet of paper makes a nice square to line the numbers up. Start with the middle number and work your way out.

Scott's tip is a big help; here's another in the same direction: find or fabricate a two-inch wide spacer for a quick layout of the space between the numbers. I used a ruler that is two inches wide and it made placement of the numbers a snap.

Kevin

Back