Sail number removal issue

Lazzzerrr

okay so i bought a used sail that i was wanting to put my own sail number on. i started peeling one of the red numbers off and under it was like a red stain behind the number... as i quickly slapped that pulled up side back down on the sail, i had no idea how i would get rid of the color. Is it residue or did the color actually bleed into the sail??? can i get rid of the color so i can actually put my own numbers on without the sail looking like crap??

I've *heard* you can use acetone for this job. Never done it. Let others chime in.

But the question is... Will the color come off??
Yes, the adhesive has picked up some of the dye from the number, but it will not transfer to the sail itself - get rid of the adhesive and you will have a hard knowing that there use to be a number there..

Thanks alot!! I'll try taking them off tomorrow... It's my first time with buying a used sail.. Hope it works

Yeah I used acetone to get some adhesive off of my sail... I think I saw on North Sails' website to use it. It also mentioned that you could use a water/bleach mixture in a 30:1 ratio to get mildew off. This might work with the color too, or it might just be too weak of a solution.

Back