Sail Measurement

rkrebill

Is Drawing 4 of my Handbook (no date on the drawing, but most pages of the Handbook are marked 1992) still valid for measuring main and jib? The drawing label includes "Capri Sailboats, 21200 Victory Blvd., Woodland Hills. CA; and O.D. Rules Sail Plans. Would have been nice to have had a date on the drawing, but it doesn't. I ask this question because I thought that the used boat that I purchased a few years ago had racing sails, but when we measured it this week, all its measurements were a few inches short of those given in drawing 4.

We found on-line in the Capri 14.or page 1 of 4, labeled "The Design", that the specs for Standard Sail Area is 114 sq. ft., and for Racing Sail Area is 119 sq. ft. Then in a mimeographed copy of a Capri 14.2 manual "First Edition 6-22-88 Second Edition 2-9-90", the sail area is said to be 122 sq. ft. I'm confused!

If my existing sails are indeed smaller than others racing in the Capri 14.2 National Association, then it is time for me to get new sails, but I'd sure like them to be "legal" and competetive. Dick K. Tempe, AZ

How old are your sails and which manufacturer made them? Dacron sails can shrink some with age, but check with the loft where you purchased the sails if you think they're short.
:eek:

Thanks Richard

Richard: My sails are 9 yrs old. I would rather get required sail measurements from the association than from a manufacturer. Also, does one measure from the very furtherest point of the sail, e.g. including the boltrope at the luff of the main, and beyond the grommets of the clew and tacks? Dick

I had purchased new North sails for my C14.2 in 2000. The sails were nice but not fast and high up wind vs Scott or Quantum. Regarding how the sail area is varing. The Jib is larger on the racing sails vs the factory sails as per class rules.
Now re the 119 vs 122, I can't say. I do know Quantum used a loop hole in the foot measurement of the jib to legally add square footage giving the jib more downwind sail area.
With that said, I have owned the North, Scott and Quantum sails as well as some by Goddard. The Goddard main was the best, followed by the Quantum main. The Scott jib is the best followed by the Quantum.

At this years Nationals, the Scott sails were by far fastest. I don't get along with the guy that makes those sails so I don't buy Scott:mad: and I am in the process of selling all C14.2 stuff as I purchased a boat in a different fleet.

All in all those 9 year old Norths are not what I would use to race with as Dacon does shrink with time . Are both sails smaller than they "should" be ?

The (my) last C14.2 purchase was for a suit of Quantums. Good sails and good guys, at least here in San Diego.:D

Measuring Sails

I read an email from Ed Jones this morning, saying that Drawing 4 in the 1992 Handbook is still valid for measuring C14 sails for racing. Also, Ed said that he is our current Association Measurer. Many thanks, Ed. Dick

Back