Sail age

nonamebrand

Hi,

I found out the other day my boat is a 1982 [93288]
Now I have a colored sail, which afaik was issued with some of the 80's boats.

What I was wondering the other day, does this mean that I still have the original sail for the boat? That is, my sail is > 20 years old?!?!

I know other people with same year model boats have newer sails than me and they are white?

My sail is not in my novice opion horrific, but does on comparison seem "lighter" and perhaps "softer" than those of my friends.

How much of a difference do you think a newer sail would make? Is it significant? I'm in my first season, and am typically around mid-fleet in interclub regattas [the only ones around here with enough boats to really get a true feel for your skill]

Many thanks
Mark

p.s. I attache d a pic in case that helps

Attachments

• forumpost.jpg
    forumpost.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 63
I got a new sail to replace my old(very) sail at the start of last season, it was a revelation! in medium winds the boat went from being a pig to handle to being really nicely balanced, gusts made me go forwards rather than screwing up to windward and fighting with the helm, I could depower it (relatively) easily and generally just loved it.

I don't doubt it made me faster but much more than that it increased my enjoyment when I was sailing.

I'd recommend forking out, mine still feels nice after a full years use, I think you have to be really good to notice the performance drop off that is claimed to happen after a few windy sails.

You would be amazed how much of a difference you will feel. When you work the control lines you will actually FEEL and see the sail's shape. Keep your other "blanket" for just farting around.. but if you want to race, a new sail is the first step!!!

Sails tend to stretch out and deform over time with heavy use. At 20+ years you are definitely looking at a major power loss, except perhaps on downwind.
When I sailed opti a friend of mine had an old sail that "balooned"-stretched and he would fly downwind. . .

WindGuru said:
you are definitely looking at a major power loss, except perhaps on downwind.

Interesting you say that, I find I can get good speeds downwind at times, catching the guys in front of me sometimes.

I cornered one of the top guys at our club and he also recommended a replacement, but suggested I gett practicing with this sail till the end of the current season, then break in a new sail for the start of next season, which is what I think I will do. Gives me time to save up as well given that sails are very expensive here!!

Interesting you say that, I find I can get good speeds downwind at times, catching the guys in front of me sometimes.

I cornered one of the top guys at our club and he also recommended a replacement, but suggested I gett practicing with this sail till the end of the current season, then break in a new sail for the start of next season, which is what I think I will do. Gives me time to save up as well given that sails are very expensive here!!

That is an original sail for that boat. Down wind you probably will not notice a performance difference, but upwind you will big time.

Well now here's the thing. There's no doubt a new sail must have some improvement to speed, but I think it's probably minimal when you consider all the other factors involved racing lasers. Perhaps the mental confidence engendered in a new sail tips the balance. Who knows.

Just been looking at the sailNZ 2008 regatta photos, and like the victoria's secret thread, those sails looked like washing day a Sum Phats Vietnamese laundromat. Stretched, baggy, wrinkled, just about every variation. Were all those international sailors using their knock about sail for that regatta? They came all the way across the world just to have fun? Unlikely.

So what does a fast sail look like? Clearly, having a pretty sail is no indication of speed.

I think it was HECS who outlined in another thread his coach's view on the matter:

So you have an older sail? No problem, just pull on the control lines more to reach a good trim.

I think he's right to a large degree. One of the reasons of not "holding your lane" is that the main is overtrimmed. So let the mainsheet out a bit. No need to buy a new sail for that.

If you're sailing upwind in heavy winds with the main backwinded out of necessity, how is a new sail going to help you?

If you're a clubsailor and you're getting beaten by more experienced sailors with older sails then buying a new sail in the hope you will out think them isn't going to work.

There are good reasons for buying new sails. You won't find an olympic contender using a ten year old sail at the start of his gold medal race, but in the same way I have yet to see a consistent tail ender blitz the fleet on the back of a new sail purchase.

Well said, new sails aren't the be all and end all, I have a wise chap at my sailing club that gave me permission to buy a new sail when I stopped capsizing every five minutes. So indeed use your beat up one for getting better BUT when I got my new sail it was ace, the big gains came when sailing in a blow when it all became controllable and managable.

So, if you enjoy sailing your laser, are good enough not to wreck a new sail by dragging it around on the bottom of the lake and can afford it, I'd get one.

Don't throw way the colored sail. There is a company (google it) that can recondition the old sail which will make it illegal for official racing but will clean the cloth and fix the shape. Keep it - such a nice toy :)

Well said, new sails aren't the be all and end all, I have a wise chap at my sailing club that gave me permission to buy a new sail when I stopped capsizing every five minutes. So indeed use your beat up one for getting better BUT when I got my new sail it was ace, the big gains came when sailing in a blow when it all became controllable and managable.

So, if you enjoy sailing your laser, are good enough not to wreck a new sail by dragging it around on the bottom of the lake and can afford it, I'd get one.

Yep. Good advice.

Don't throw way the colored sail. There is a company (google it) that can recondition the old sail which will make it illegal for official racing but will clean the cloth and fix the shape. Keep it - such a nice toy :)

Unless they are recutting it the shape will not change. "Reconditioned" sails are cleaned and I think given an infusion of either resin in the cloth or hit with some sort of super scotch guard stuff. Makes them look clean and feel new, but the shape is the shape.

I think I saw recutting was an option and may be the only option. It might be very hard to apply resin to a whole sail which has a non-flat shape. Not sure though

If you're a clubsailor and you're getting beaten by more experienced sailors with older sails then buying a new sail in the hope you will out think them isn't going to work.

Well, I have pretty much the oldest sail, so get beat by more experienced guys with newer sails but then also beat guys with more/less experience and newer sails.

I dont really expect to suddenly take off to the top, but do wonder how much its holding me back from regularly threatening the top guys, but I think you guys are right and its more my cr*p sailing thats holding me back! :)

I'll look into the reconditioning option, but I don't think there will be any in South Africa offering that.

Back