sail # 210353 possible?

USA 210353

Anyone seen\own a boat with a sail # above 20,000?

I just purchased a slightly used laser with hull ID # OQT L0353 I708.

The sail came w\o numbers but I gather the sail # should be 210353. (L=21)

I haven't seen any boat with numbers greater that 19,000 and am looking for some confirmation I've got it right before I put numbers on the sail.

Thanks

Anyone seen\own a boat with a sail # above 20,000?

I just purchased a slightly used laser with hull ID # OQT L0353 I708.

The sail came w\o numbers but I gather the sail # should be 210353. (L=21)

I haven't seen any boat with numbers greater that 19,000 and am looking for some confirmation I've got it right before I put numbers on the sail.

Thanks

I haven't heard that the numbers have reached 200,000 yet, so something is off, especially for a used boat.

I think Vanguard stopped coding the sail number into the serial number. There should be a small sticker in the back of the cockpit with the actual sail number. If not, contact Vanguard directly.

I think Vanguard stopped coding the sail number into the serial number..
It seems so, torrid.
"Vanguard" now is part of "LaserPerformance Ltd.". European Lasers of LaserPerformance have a so called "Hull Identification Number" (HIN), printed to the gelcoat at the stern.

In October 2008 I wrote a reply to that:
http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=53456&postcount=24

From that I would say: The Laser with HIN "OQT L0353 I708" is produced in September ("I") 2007 ("7") like the model for 2008 ("08"). "L0353" is an internal production code of LP/Vanguard. Only the producer is able to say, what that exact that code-part means. The Sailnumber is shown at the silver-sticker of LP/Vanguard at the rear wall of the Cockpit. Sail number of 210xxx seems a bit to early for 2008.

Ciao
LooserLu

Every Laser since the nineties has had that sticker on the inside back wall of the cockpit. Read the sticker and answer your question and while you are at it.

Please...pretty please chill us all out and post an explanatory note for the rest of us.

Note: One of our Austin locals bought a laser with a 210XXX number last spring.

Got it from the sticker inside the cockpit, 191581.

It seems the 'how to get sail # from hull ID# on the laser.org site does not apply to newer boats.

Thanks,

phooey. The thirty year tradition of having the numbers match was nice for the users.

On the other hand. Look at what the bean coujnter businessman kooks at...money tied up unnecessarily.

The serial number which is molded into the hull must be known before the hull is built. The builders do not know the ILCA royalty tag numbers until they purchase and receive those tags by making payments to ILCA, ISAF, and Mr Kirby.

As it is most convenient to make runs of one color of Laser and then another color and then to stock those boats in a warehouse while building runs of 420s, Nomads, and Sunfish, there is a lot of capital which can be freed up by waiting until shipping day to apply royalty stickers.

The concern about "having the royalty labels" shifts from the scheduling day for production to the scheduling day for shipping. In some cases that period could be months.

Royalty tags are not cheap. Reducing stock is simply a way to save money.

I will not elaborate about my belief that this move is moving funds from the most important promotional system the builders have and how ignorant I believe both the builders and association officers are to allow it to happen..

So I wonder how many people think they have a 210k Laser when in reality they only have a 190k Laser?

Back