S-turns and trimming

ralfeez

I just received my new Laser Sailor magazine. For those of you that are not Laser class members, this quarterly magazine alone is worth the cost of membership. This issue has an article about downwind sailing that is excellent. It left me hungry for more information. Brett Davis refers to 'trimming three or four times' as you transition from sailing by the lee to a broad reach. Could someone shed some light on this? Normally, I would picture trimming as a smooth movement as I change angles to the wind. Is this trimming more of a pumping of the sail? Do you make this transition smoothly or in a stairstep type climb back to the broad reach? Any comments will be helpful. Thank you.

ralfeez said:
I just received my new Laser Sailor magazine. For those of you that are not Laser class members, this quarterly magazine alone is worth the cost of membership. This issue has an article about downwind sailing that is excellent. It left me hungry for more information. Brett Davis refers to 'trimming three or four times' as you transition from sailing by the lee to a broad reach. Could someone shed some light on this? Normally, I would picture trimming as a smooth movement as I change angles to the wind. Is this trimming more of a pumping of the sail? Do you make this transition smoothly or in a stairstep type climb back to the broad reach? Any comments will be helpful. Thank you.

Just from memory of reading that article, I thought it meant to pull 3 or 4 arm lengths of sheet in when going from by the lee to broad reaching. If that's not it, I'd sure like to know, too.

That's what he meant.
It's a smooth turn, ideally initiated by heeling the boat to leeward and then letting the rudder follow. As you are turning up, you are sheeting in - the trimming motion is similar to a leeward mark rounding.

Goal would be to make the transition smoothly using your weight to steer the boat as much as possible. Trimming the sail should also be smooth to avoid being protested for pumping. A well timed pump of the sail won't hurt your speed, but to excess is illegal. A poorly timed pump can be slow. The key is to practice, practice, practice. The amount of trim depends on conditions. In light air on flat water you will likely need to turn/trim more than in heavier air. Add chop or swell to the equation and you will need to adjust appropriatly. Defining appropriatly is difficult and requires even more practice.

Excellent, thank you everyone. That clears it up. I can't wait to get out there and practice more with this technique.

Back