Rudder size/specifications.

JvNH

I saw another thread with a similar question, but It wasn't answered and I didn't want to hijack it.

I aquired a free sunfish over the summer. I do not know what year it is, but I do know it has the new style (or had..) rudder. I was out on a good day planing quite nicely when for whatever reason, my rudder snapped. I can't find my camera cable so I can't upload pictures, but the top of the rudder blade where the tiller connects broke off, which pressed what was left of the rudder againts the boat, flipping me over rather quickly. Over the course of getting back to my beach by holding and turning by holding the rudderblade itself ( Which is a good arm workout I might add ) I flipped a few times, losing the entire tiller assembley.
Now all I have is the broken blade, and the casing. I'm not worrying about the hardware that keeps the blade flipped up when not in use yet, I just need to make a new rudder. I have browsed google, and looked at other websites trying to get the specifications of the rudder blade, but I can't find it. I'm planning on making one in my woodshop class in school. If anyone has the specifications, can trace it and tell me, or toss me a link with that information I would be very greatful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this beast of a first post

weather-beaten Sunfisher said:
I've always heard that it's not the size of one's rudder that counts, but how you use it.

Absolutely right. Make sure you have it at the right angle, keep the flow moving and don't waggle it too much. If you are finding that it snaps in normal use, you are trying too hard.

My dad looked at it and said it was a very cheap wood ( the one that snapped ). The rudder I made is working out, but I am saving for an actual replacement I can get at a local sunfish dealer.

I will look into that, the only rudder they had was wooden and 160 dollars. I opted to spend about 30 dollars on wood and supplies to hold me over.

As a woodshop teacher, I've made several rudders. Mine are improved over the factory one. Try contacting snfish. I sold him a few of my design. He my be willing to sell you one. If you choose to make your own, I will be of assistance.

Al Courtines

Hi,
I had all most the same thing happen to me. I was in the middle of the lake and ended up with a tiller in my hand. It was very hard to steer the boat holding on to the rudder by your hands and run the sail and see were your going. All that aside.I have the old style rudder. I needed a rudder made fast. I found a piece of yellow pine 3/4" thick and used what was left of the old one and traced it out. Two handy tools I used were a scroll saw and a grizzly disc and small belt sander. I put about, no more than a 2" taper on the edges and then rounded the edge with sandpaper. You don't want to make a sharp edge ,but rather a blunt edge. It has to do with drag in the water. I also cut a slot in the back topside of the rudder that I use for a handle to carry the thing around with. I do not race,I don't know the rules. And to add to this long story. I bought a windflite sailboat has sunfish hull underneath it for 150.00 When I went to look at it the guy had it rigged and it was in a lake behind his house. I sailed it and two beers later was hooked. The wood probably to get to make a rudder would be honduras mahogany for a new one. The other thing possibly is to get an old table or piece of furniture made from solid mahogany that is junk. I got a piece from an antique dealer that was throwing it out. They just sold a mahogany plywood rudder on ebay that would have worked for 10.00. Tip: there is a ledge that the tiller sets on the rudder. Make sure that the ledge is rised high enough that the tiller does not rub against the top of the boat.
Good luck,
greywaterman

I got my sunfish about 10 yrs ago, when i got is i was about 12 lol. The hull had holes in it from being droped on the side walk by the old owner. I picked it up for $50. Now 10 yrs later i am fixing it :-p. My main problem is i have no rudder or dagger board...... hard to sail without those. If anyone has some tips on how to make something to work please anything would be great. Al Court any advise would be a lot of help. thanks

Try posting a message under "Wanted". My guess is that you're not looking for the better than factory one such as the ones I have to offer.

Used rudders (complete) seem to go for a good penny. Sometimes they pop up on ebay or on the forum here. There is a guy selling unfinished or finished blades (CB and rudder) on ebay. They are pretty cheap. The guy's wooden daggerboard is cut similar to the new plastic ones. I have seen one and it is pretty nice for the price....BUT NOT CLASS LEGAL.

P.S. Peter Buckley is a member of the class that lives in the vicinity of Cinci. = your local guy. Neil Harrel is a class members at Acton Lake if that is anywhere close. You may have luck looking them up in the forum members list.

Back