Rudder repair tip

That's a pretty reasonable repair. I'd just like to point out that if you get some west system filler you can thicken the epoxy to be like peanut butter so you don't have to do as much forming etc

I would follow the link that you posted, I did my dagger board the same way except I screwed in SS screws and used a dremel to cut off the heads and beveled and drilled small holes so that the West epoxy would have a good hold an seep in.

I would NOT fill with the line in place, because you will never be able to replace the downhaul line should it wear out,

except I screwed in SS screws and used a dremel to cut off the heads and beveled and drilled small holes so that the West epoxy would have a good hold an seep in
That's not a bad idea. Actually, I think if you used smaller flat head screws and didn't cut the heads off, they would act as anchors in the West System. This would be similar to what a dentist does when he puts in a filling. The hole he drills is always wider at the bottom to keep the filling from coming out.

Hey Bungo

I would have liked to keep the heads on but since the broken piece was at the usual spot (trailing edge) of the board, I wanted the strength of the 2.5" screws as close to the end so that I could tapper. I stepped down the surrounding area and grooved the board with the dremmel so that there was more surface area for the epoxy to hold to as well as drilling small holes. The repair was super strong

Back